Listening via Roberts Stream 94i Digital Radio

Alistair Newton

Mar 17, 2021, 9:24:16 AM3/17/21
to Brennan Forum
I have found the B2 very easy to use and have suffered none of the problems I have read about on this forum. Having loaded some 550 CDs into its memory I would now like to start listening to these CDs from elsewhere rather than just from my chair in the conservatory from where I have been loading the discs.

We have a Roberts digital radio in the kitchen and I would like to be able to listen from there. Is it possible to buy a plug in wi-fi receiver device which I can plug in to the USB port in the back of the radio?

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2021, 11:20:48 AM3/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi ali...

Re " Is it possible to buy a plug in wi-fi receiver device which I can plug in to the USB port in the back of the radio?"  Answer - No not really, the B2 does not broadcast music like that. However if your Roberts can acta as a Bluetooth speaker it may be possible.
For your sort of requirement - the B2 now supports "Sonos".
I have 3 Sonos speakers
a.JPG
set up at home, 2 as a stereo pair in my living room and one in my office. I can ask the B2 to send music (or radio) to these very satisfactorily.

They are a bit pricy but well worth the dosh. (you could also use Sonos compatible speakers eg IKEA
which are les expensive).

Hope this helps

Fred

Rik

Mar 17, 2021, 11:40:56 AM3/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Another small thought. If you don’t want to go down the Sonos route some people are using a VLC app on phone, tablet to stream music to a Bluetooth speaker when your PC  is set up as NAS for Brennan Music.
I’m having a bit of difficulty with VLC at the mo but know it can work well.

Daniel Taylor

Mar 17, 2021, 3:01:07 PM3/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi ali...
Although you can't get music from the USB port on the B2, there are RF transmitters that can be plugged into the Line Output (analog) and send the signal to a compatible RF receiver.  I have a pair that I use to send music from my main A/V system to a boombox in my workshop.  However, I'm not confident that they have very good range.

PMB

Mar 18, 2021, 5:02:33 AM3/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ali,

I think - you will need to check - that the Stream 94i supports DLNA and may be able to play music from the B2 using B2's NAS mode.

On the Stream
Look to see if it has a 'Media Player' option and then select 'Shared Media' - the B2 should show up if this function is available on the Stream.

On the B2 -
Navigate to the Maintenance menu and select 'Start NAS'

The Stream's app will be control of what's played from the B2.

Paul
Brennan Support.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2021, 9:03:40 AM3/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul

I may be being thick, but if you are wanting a DLNA connection from the B2, should you not be "Stat DLNA" rather than NAS?

Fred

PMB

Mar 19, 2021, 6:55:36 AM3/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Fred,

Well spotted, my mistake.

Hi Ali,

Should have read -

On the B2 -
Navigate to the Maintenance menu, select DLNA and change the setting to ON.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Alistair Newton

Mar 27, 2021, 7:38:04 AM3/27/21
to Brennan Forum
My apologies for not responding to the helpful responses received on my query.  My excuse is that I lost interest in the topic once I realised that I wouldn’t be able to use the user interface on my I-Pad to control what was being played on the Digital Radio.

Instead, once I have finished loading my CD’s, I intend to download a very large number of them into playlists on my I phone which has 6 Gb of memory and use that in the kitchen as well as in the car.

Alistair

Daniel Taylor

Mar 27, 2021, 9:23:36 AM3/27/21
to Brennan Forum
ali...
If you're talking about loading CDs on the B2 and making playlists with the WebUI, those playlists are stored on the B2.  So your 6GB of memory on the iPhone will not come into play.  The WebUI is a website that runs on your B2.  You only access it with your phone.

Alistair Newton

Mar 27, 2021, 12:14:14 PM3/27/21
to Brennan Forum
No, what I want to do is firstly to back up my B2 onto a portable disc drive, with some 670 CDs already loaded this is something I should get around to very soon. Then I want to create playlists using my laptop and load these onto my iPhone for use around the house on various digital radios and in the car(s).

I suppose I could do all this via wi-fi and will do some research on this before I start.

Thanks,

Alistair

Daniel Taylor

Mar 27, 2021, 1:28:40 PM3/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Alistair,
Having playlists on the phone and playing it around the house is something I've never done.  So as I try to understand, you are playing music that's stored on your phone (MP3?) with your phone as the player. (?)  And then, maybe, sending the signal out on Bluetooth to be played on varioius speakers. (?)

If I'm at all close in my understanding, then the only real advantage I can see to playing on your phone is that you can play the music in any room where your phone goes that has a Bluetooth speaker.

And then the B2 would fit in as a Bluetooth receiver. (?)

Daniel Taylor

Mar 27, 2021, 4:34:54 PM3/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Alistair replied to me thusly:
"Exactly, I will be able to listen to a very wide range of music wherever I have access to a digital radio with a Bluetooth facility.  I already do this in each of our cars but now that I have loaded 650 CDs onto the B2 I have access to a very wide range of music"