OpenVR Recorder

John Slater

Oct 19, 2022, 5:25:39 PM10/19/22
to Brekel
 When using Open VR Recorder, all the hardware shows up in the 'data' spreadsheet and 'Record' is checked for everything - but when I open the resulting FBX file (either in Blender or in a standalone Autodesk FBX viewer) I only get 3 tracked objects - the HMD, one hand and one of the Tundra trackers.

I'm running ver 1.44 of OpenVR with a Valve Index and 8 Tundra trackers on a laptop with an AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX with Radeon Graphics and an nVidia RTX3070.  I have tried recording 3 different times with the same result.

Also - I noticed someone else mentioned that 'playback' on their machine was unusably slow - I have that same issue.  When I hit play I get about 3 or 4 fps, even if I turn off labels, axis, name, model etc.  Even with nothing visible it's still 3 or 4 fps.

Finally, your hand recorder has a 'handy' feature that lets you play back an audio file while recording - any chance of adding that to OpenVR?

Brekel

Oct 20, 2022, 5:58:51 AM10/20/22
to Brekel
Hi,

Could you give that a try with v1.43 please.
I'm wondering if a recent change in v1.44, for memory efficiency reasons, could've changed this behaviour somehow.

Another thing to check, are the names of the devices in the 'data' spreadsheet all unique or are some of them the same? If they overlap maybe the exporter may overwrite data from device onto the other.

Indeed playback currently doesn't handle timestamps correctly on playback, this is on the todo list.
I'll add audio playback as well, thanks for the suggestion.

John Slater

Oct 20, 2022, 11:53:22 AM10/20/22
to Brekel
I was thinking the same thing about the names - I tried renaming them in v1.44 yesterday but it didn't seem to help - though I confess I wasn't being very methodical about my testing.

Today I tried again with 1.43 and gave all the trackers and LR hands unique names and it worked.

I restarted v1.43 and all the tundra trackers were now named 'foot_L' - but it still recorded correctly.

I also noticed that if one of the trackers goes dark, it may come back with a new number.

Brekel

Oct 21, 2022, 10:57:07 AM10/21/22
to Brekel
Thanks for testing.
Sounds like the new memory management in v1.44 is a bit too aggressive, will correct it for v1.45

John Slater

Oct 21, 2022, 1:28:20 PM10/21/22
to Brekel
Sounds good.

In addition to the audio file playback - I have 2 more feature requests:

1 - Is it possible to save the tracker names once you've named them and have that name 'stick' even when the tracker is disabled and re-enabled and/or OpenVR is restarted?  Possibly tie it to the tracker serial number or something?

2 - BVH export would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Brekel

Oct 22, 2022, 5:48:13 AM10/22/22
to Brekel
1. Sounds like a bug, the software should re-apply any custom set names on startup but it sounds like it's overruled, I'll put it on my buglist to investigate & fix.

2. I've looked at BVH support in the past unfortunately this 25+ year old is not a very good fit.
- many applications discard any positional data (except on the root joint)
- it was designed for (human) hierarchies of bones and can't save things like custom attributes (for buttons for example)
- it doesn't handle things like geometry
- it saves in Euler angles and can suffer from gimbal locking issues
- it doesn't save timestamps per object so can't properly support variable framerates and/or framerate fluctuations very well