Brekel Kinect Point Cloud Trial - ABC to Maya error

Derek Tannehill

Jul 7, 2021, 6:03:53 PM7/7/21
to Brekel
// Error: C:/Users/derek/Documents/Brekel/Test_Anim.abc is not a valid Alembic file //

I have exported this a few times and always have the same result when brining it into Maya.  I have also tried to bring the ABC into Unreal and it crashes the program.

I am able to export an OBJ and that comes in fine.  Any setting im missing when brining this into maya?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brekel

Jul 8, 2021, 6:48:40 AM7/8/21
to Brekel
What version of the Brekel app (v1/v2/v3) are you using?
And what are your Alembic export settings?

Note that not all apps may be able to read all Alembic variants (geometry vs points and HDF5 vs Ogawa for example).

Derek Tannehill

Jul 8, 2021, 1:01:42 PM7/8/21
to Brekel
AlembicSettings.jpg

Version 1

Brekel

Jul 9, 2021, 6:17:36 AM7/9/21
to Brekel
After a bit of investigation it looks like (at least the latest version of) Maya doesn't support Alembic with HDF5 compression anymore and only supports Ogawa compression.
The old Brekel PointCloud v1 saves as Alembic with HDF5, I'll see if I can add support for Ogawa.

Brekel

Jul 9, 2021, 6:53:04 AM7/9/21
to Brekel
Just released v1.81 which now has the option to select either HDF5 or Ogawa compression (tested and confirmed that Ogawa works with Maya 2022).
The app should autodetect that a new version is available online at startup.

Derek Tannehill

Jul 9, 2021, 5:07:44 PM7/9/21
to Brekel
WOW!  thanks so much for that!