Kinect V2 camera parameters

Evan Hemingway

Jul 21, 2021, 2:03:20 PM7/21/21
to Brekel
Hello,

This inquiry is sent on behalf of my teammate:

"Kinect V2 camera parameters
We have noticed that reported camera parameters in Brekel PointCloud 3 for Kinect V2 do not seem to match what Microsoft Kinect SDK (v2.0_1409) reports via the API call GetDepthCameraIntrinsics(). The returned parameters are quite different. For example, focal lengths for the depth camera reported by Brekel are 391.775336/399.397186 while the API (C++) reports 366.41/366.41. Similar differences are found for other parameters. We would like to perform the conversion of the raw depth map to the point cloud using the camera intrinsics, however the intrinsic values provided by the PointCloud software produce considerably different geometry as compared to directly exporting the same frame into the ply output. We did a similar conversion for Kinect Azure using the reported camera parameters and there the two point clouds match well. We were wondering if the intrinsics parameters for Kinect v2 are somehow inferred from the Kinect coordinate mapper since they don't seem to match the output of GetDepthCameraIntrinsics method, those reported by PointCloud software also don't seem to provide correct results.

This was tested with v0.8. I don't know if that's the latest version."

Thank you,

Evan

Brekel

Jul 26, 2021, 4:42:12 AM7/26/21
to Brekel
Since you mention v0.8 I'm assuming you are talking about Brekel PointCloud v3.

The Kinect v2 SDK does not provide a full set of lens calibration data only some of the intrinsics of the depth lens are provided.
The Brekel app uses driver/SDK data where available (depending on sensor and type and situation) but can/will internally also optimize calibration data for it's needs and may refine things during it's calibration so the output in the console/log is not guaranteed to be the same as the SDK data in some cases.

Greets,