Point Cloud v3 - How many Azure Kinect in parallel?

Frank Spalteholz

Jun 22, 2022, 3:30:43 AM6/22/22
to Brekel
Hello everyone. We received finally 5 new Azure Kinect cams and I'd like to ask you if anyone has any practical experiences with the fowolling application/task:

1 how many such cams (synched via cable) are in praxis working together without getting issues inside PC v3?
2 We are planning to connect each cam to one client -> so 4 cams gonna be streamed via network (headless + one server app)

Thank you very much and best wishes
Frank

Brekel

Jun 27, 2022, 6:49:25 AM6/27/22
to Brekel
Hi Frank,

This of course depends very much on the specs of your machine(s).

I've done 5 on a single machine (Core i7 with GTX1080ti as well as on an AMD 5950x with 3080ti) using a StarTech PEXUSB3S44V USB card for 4 sensors plus one sensor on the motherboard.

It is always best to plug as many sensors in one machine as possible and only use networked machine(s) when needed as it complicates things.

Greets,

Frank Spalteholz

Jul 1, 2022, 11:04:13 AM7/1/22
to Brekel
Thank you very much! Unfortunatly the latest version has been expired and is not working any longer :( I think i will have to extend my subscription anyways but please let me know when the new version is available. Thank you Jasper!

Brekel

Jul 1, 2022, 11:42:05 AM7/1/22
to Brekel
Sorry about that.
I had forgotten one step in the upload of the new version causing it to not show up, a new installer should be available now.

Thanks for letting me know!

Frank Spalteholz

Jul 4, 2022, 7:16:37 AM7/4/22
to Brekel
Hello Jasper. I don't want to open another thread so please excuse an additional question here regarding export-issues here for my Azure Kinect cams. How do i get the rgb-video-stream exported (not merged with depth!) like i can do for intel realsense? When i open the record-file i can only see the merged versions under Video and Depth but not the original rgb-image-sequence? I need those original images for several reasons. Thanks so much!

Brekel

Jul 4, 2022, 10:26:56 AM7/4/22
to Brekel
For Azure Kinect BPC clips you can select them on the timeline (shift + left mouse button click) and then switch it from Low Resolution
to High Resolution mode.

Frank Spalteholz

Jul 4, 2022, 12:25:45 PM7/4/22
to Brekel
I'm really sorry but i can't find the res-switch option. where is it?

Frank Spalteholz

Jul 4, 2022, 12:27:36 PM7/4/22
to Brekel
got it .. don't mind me ... i love it!

Evan Hemingway

Nov 4, 2022, 1:26:40 AM11/4/22
to Brekel
Wait, where is the res-switch option? I've been looking for 15 minutes...
Message has been deleted

Brekel

Nov 4, 2022, 6:39:14 AM11/4/22
to Brekel
Select an Azure Kinect clip on the timeline (ctrl + left mouse button click), there will be an "Azure Kinect Mode" option on the "Clip Settings" tab on the top left of the UI.

Evan Hemingway

Nov 4, 2022, 1:44:23 PM11/4/22
to Brekel
Hm, I poked around and found a .bpc file where the option appeared. The option is not there for BPC File Version 6. But I found another old file that is BPC File Version 9 where the "Azure Kinect Mode" option did appear.

Brekel

Nov 4, 2022, 1:51:04 PM11/4/22
to Brekel
This only works for files from an Azure Kinect sensor recorded with recent versions of PointCloud v3.