Exo and Single page applications?

Benjamin Cordes

Sep 11, 2013, 4:50:08 PM9/11/13
to exobrow...@googlegroups.com
Very amazing stuff. Good write up today, as well. I once thought I should look try to understand at least a bit about Chromium, but then I looked at the codebase. Pretty cool that that stacked navigation takes only 3k LOC.

I think I'm going to switch to exo as user when it's a bit further on. The really like the stacks. I think bookmarks are ripe for innovation, too.

One thing I'm trying to understand is whether this kind of architecture might enable development of better single page applications. A webdocument doesn't know how say a table will get rendered. In other ways on the web there is an abstraction of a document (HTML/CSS) of behaviour (JS/jquery), but not of rendering. My problem is I'm dealing with frameworks like YUI and Ext to create desktop style applications (say a Photoshop or Excel clone). These approaches are really a mess, but I haven't found a way to tackle this. Polyfills and webcomponents are not much of help here.

Rory Pickering

Aug 18, 2014, 9:27:07 AM8/18/14
to breac...@googlegroups.com, exobrow...@googlegroups.com
+1 for this. Out of everything this is the prospect that most excites me (particularly coming from a 'prototyping' angle), I love the idea that ExoBrowser could act as a cross-platform 'shell' for hybrid native/web applications. Similarly to Cordova or Phonegap for mobile.

Is this a use case that is realistic or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Stanislas Polu

Aug 18, 2014, 11:30:19 AM8/18/14
to Rory Pickering, breac...@googlegroups.com, exobrow...@googlegroups.com

This is the very goal of v0.7!