BRB Groupthink: 4/22

Matthew Weston

Apr 20, 2022, 9:01:59 PM4/20/22
to via BRBAdmin
What is the worst draft pick in Houston Texans franchise history? I’ll run this for Friday.

Kenneth Levy

Apr 20, 2022, 9:03:25 PM4/20/22
to brba...@googlegroups.com
Kahale Warring purely because I was right and Matt was wrong and I’ll never let that down.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Wednesday, April 20, 2022, 6:02 PM, Matthew Weston <mbw...@gmail.com> wrote:

What is the worst draft pick in Houston Texans franchise history? I’ll run this for Friday.

rivers...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2022, 9:12:35 PM4/20/22
to brba...@googlegroups.com
DeVier Posey over Russell Wilson

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 20, 2022, at 8:03 PM, 'Kenneth Levy' via BRBAdmin <brba...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

 Kahale Warring purely because I was right and Matt was wrong and I’ll never let that down.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/brbadmin/1872720910.1047981.1650502996141%40mail.yahoo.com.

Geoff Mueller

Apr 20, 2022, 10:05:43 PM4/20/22
to BRBAdmin
Rivers was literally pounding the table to draft Wilson. I know because I was there.

However, the correct answer is, and always will be, Travis Johnson over anykitteningbody else.

As I like to weave the tale, I was at a dive in Philly on a business trip watching the draft. After our pick, the bartender (in Philly!) bought me a shot because she knew how bad the pick was.

Matthew Weston

Apr 20, 2022, 10:58:01 PM4/20/22
to brba...@googlegroups.com
I’m still waiting for Max Scharping to move to center

Scott Martin

Apr 21, 2022, 7:20:20 AM4/21/22
to brba...@googlegroups.com
Worst draft pick in Texans' history? Way too many candidates for a franchise this young. I'll go a little more old-school and say Bennie Jorppu. A 2nd round pick on a TE who did absolutely nothing for the team in 3 seasons. The offensive struggles are not solely on him, but using that high a draft pick on a player like him, you would figure that he would make some meaningful contributions. That did not happen for whatever reason.

For honorable mention, you could include the mid-round picks from the 2013 draft. That was also a collective foul-up that hurt the team's grander aspirations.

Mike Bullock

Apr 21, 2022, 7:34:40 AM4/21/22
to brba...@googlegroups.com
I'm stuck between Xavier Su'a-Filo and Lonnie Johnson Jr. Both seem to have been players who never should have gone as high as they did, stuck around far too long without living up to their draft status and given far too many chances to win the job despite the availability of better candidates either through the draft or free agency. Two guys who took up starter roster space without routinely contributing starter quality snaps. And, while Lonnie Johnson seems like a great guy, the notion that he's become the public face of the Texans secondary right now, a secondary that's arguably the worst in franchise history, speaks volumes.

sbarzilla

Apr 21, 2022, 7:52:18 AM4/21/22
to BRBAdmin
There are so many factors that go into this. One of the things you have to measure is the production versus the level of expectation. It's funny because I am running a couple of draft pieces next week, so I've looked into this a lot. There was a period of about three years when all of are third rounders turned into *kittens* and failed to even suit up for the Texans much less produce anything, but that would have to be some kind of negative draft parlay. I'm going with Kevin Johnson. The numbers will say he produced some because the team felt compelled to play him, but he never lived up to his billing. Some others failed as well, but he is the only first rounder I can think of that failed on that spectacular a level.

That's really the tough part of this is that if someone gets on the field regularly then they cease to be a bust in most people's eyes, but getting on the field is expected for a first rounder. In fact, they may get on the field when they shouldn't if you have a coach that is trying to justify a pick. That more than anything is good reason to have one guy as GM and another as head coach.

Mike Bullock

Apr 21, 2022, 8:42:10 AM4/21/22
to brba...@googlegroups.com
(((( Big Matt: any plans to do the reverse of this next week? As in: Best Picks? I used the plural, cause J.J. Watt is clearly the best ever, but #2 is debatable.))))

Matthew Weston

Apr 21, 2022, 9:07:05 AM4/21/22
to brba...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I thought about it but Watt is the best pick and I guess we can do second best pick. I’d say it’s Watson but who knows what everyone thinks now.

Mike Bullock

Apr 21, 2022, 9:17:33 AM4/21/22
to brba...@googlegroups.com
Maybe Top 5?

T.D. Durham

Apr 21, 2022, 9:26:26 AM4/21/22
to brba...@googlegroups.com
There are a few that come to mind over the years, but I'm gonna go with an off-beat choice in Amobi Okoye at No. 10 overall in the 2007 draft. Okoye wasn't a huge bust, but he was out of the league in 6 years, and never played up to expectations of a Top-10 pick as a Texan. Pair that with the choices taken just after him (Patrick Willis, Marshawn Lynch, Dartrelle Revis, Lawrence Timmons in the next 5 picks) and it's a prety embarassing miss for 2nd year GM Rick Smith that year.

Rivers McCown

Apr 21, 2022, 10:30:11 AM4/21/22
to 'jordanpun' via BRBAdmin
Amobi is only 23 today, he's still got a chance. He's so young!

T.D. Durham

Apr 21, 2022, 10:55:48 AM4/21/22
to brba...@googlegroups.com

capt.r...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2022, 9:13:59 AM4/22/22
to brba...@googlegroups.com

Okoye ended up being really bad value for #10 overall.  I’d include Tony Boselli to the list of bad picks (expansion draft) since he never even played a snap for the Texans.  David Carr ended up being a horrible #1 overall, especially given that Julius Peppers went #2 in that draft.  Reaching for a QB proved to be the foundational mistake for the new franchise in Houston.

Matt Robinson

Apr 22, 2022, 10:14:41 AM4/22/22
to brba...@googlegroups.com
Hindsight is 2020 but taking Sua’Filo at the top of the 2nd round after getting caught with their pants down as Minnesota leap frogged them for Teddy B was a big let down. Especially when you account for the fact that perennial pro bowler Joel Bitonio went just a few picks later.  Sua’Filo then began to utterly compromise the line for the next gut wrenching 4 seasons after getting spoiled from the solid play of the unit prior to 2013. Rick Smith will get criticized for a lot of his drafts and this is one of the years that helped him earn his moniker of only being able to hit on 1st rounders.

capt.r...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2022, 1:46:53 PM4/22/22
to brba...@googlegroups.com

An interesting view into the history of the Texans’ drafts is this link.  When you scroll from year to year, it’s amazing to see the cluster of players who played a high number of career NFL games vs the clusters of players who played fewer games and then consider which regime they were drafted by in Houston.  It’s by no means a perfect science, but it does speak to an element of the quality (or lack thereof) of the cluster of players drafted and which regime was really bad at it.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/htx/draft.htm

Patrick Haughton

Apr 22, 2022, 1:48:51 PM4/22/22
to brba...@googlegroups.com
This post is just making me think of Sam Montgomery and wonder what he's up to nowadays.

I hope he's happy at least.