Annotating overlapping/disjoint entities in coordinated clauses

Serena Lotreck

Feb 16, 2021, 3:16:41 PM2/16/21
to brat-users

Hi,

I'm trying to annotate entities of the form:

"... jasmonic acid and salicylic acid signalling"

where the entities I want to annotate are "jasmonic acid signalling" and "salicylic acid signalling". The entity "jasmonic acid signalling" is disjoint, and is overlapped by "salicylic acid signalling".

I'm currently trying to do this by first annotating the disjoint entity by using the "Add frag." feature, and then annotating the continuous second entity that overlaps the disjoint one.

I'm running into two problems:
(1) When I add a fragment, there's no space between the two fragments: e.g. instead of "jasmonic acid signalling", I get "jasmonic acidsignalling". I've tried including a space with what I highlight for the fragment, but it appears not to work.
(2) When I annotate the second entity, I get the error:
AnnotationError: Error: annotation cannot have crossing span with T1
It appears that the entity is still annotated, but I'm concerned that something is going to be messed up in the .ann file because of it.

How can I deal with these two problems? Is there a better way to deal with disjoint/overlapping entities?

Serena

Shibamouli Lahiri

Feb 16, 2021, 5:04:13 PM2/16/21
to brat-...@googlegroups.com