Try BRAT Online

Jim Bryant

Oct 3, 2021, 5:08:05 AM10/3/21
to brat-users
I'm a complete newcomer to this group and field.
I am hoping that BRAT may be a suitable tool to help me in annotating some text material (news stories)
However I am strugging to begin.
For a start the 'Try BRAT Online' button on the webpage doesn't work ('Page not found' error)
I don't know how to get started otherwise.  For instance if I look at GITHUB there's lots there but as a user (rather than as a software person) I don't know what to do with it.
Is anyone out there able to point me in the right direction please!
Thanks
Jim

Goran Topic

Oct 13, 2021, 1:25:07 AM10/13/21
to brat-...@googlegroups.com
I believe after a decade the website expired, or something.
Unfortunately, setting up brat does involve some "software person" knowledge. The easiest "get started" involves:

* installing `git` if you don't have it already: https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Getting-Started-Installing-Git
* installing `python3` if you don't have it already: https://realpython.com/installing-python/
* cloning the repository: `git clone https://github.com/nlplab/brat.git`
* running the `install.sh` script
* putting your data into the `data` subdirectory
* running the standalone server: `python3 standalone.py`

Goran

--

---

Constantino M. Valmaseda

Jan 18, 2022, 8:21:30 AM1/18/22
to brat-users
Thanks for the instructions Goran. The instructions in the Brat web (that part is still working), say it requires Python 2, have you been actually successfull installing it with Python 3?
It would be much less hassle for me indeed if Python 3 could be used...

Goran Topic

Jan 18, 2022, 11:40:21 AM1/18/22
to brat-...@googlegroups.com
GitHub master branch has been ported to Python 3, and does not support Python 2 any more.
Some ancillary files (like some of those in tools directory) may not have been ported yet, but they are not necessary for the normal operation. If you run into one of those, please let me know.

Goran