Registration Open: Authorial Fictions and Attributions

BRANECollective

Sep 16, 2021, 4:57:35 PM9/16/21
to BRANECollective
Hello members of the BRANE Collective,

You are cordially invited to our next event series, co-hosted with the North American Society for the Study of Christian Apocryphal Literature, and the Second Temple Early Career Academy: Authorial Fictions and Attributions in the Ancient Mediterranean!

This colloquium brings together scholars working on early Judaism, early Christianity, and Classics to discuss authorship and attribution beyond the typical boundaries of our fields. Monthly events through December will feature panel discussions of prominent work in this area, alongside new research presentations. Come join us to hear interdisciplinary dialogue on authorial fictions and attributions in the ancient Mediterranean, featuring top scholars in ancient history, as well as rising stars among early career researchers! Our inaugural panels will kick us off next week:

September 24, 9:30am - 11:00am EST // 3:30pm - 5:00pm CET

Panel 1: Panellists Karen KingJoseph HowleyLiv Ingeborg Lied, and Roberta Mazza will discuss the essay: Karen L. King, “‘What is an Author?’: Ancient Author-Function in the Apocryphon of John and the Apocalypse of John,” in Scribal Practices and Social Structures Among Jesus Adherents: Essays in Honour of John S. Kloppenborg, ed. William E. Arnal et al., BETL 285 (Leuven: Peeters, 2016), 15-42.

September 24, 2:30pm - 4:00pm ESET // 8:30pm - 10:00pm CET

Panel 2: Panellists Hindy NajmanIrene Peirano GarrisonHugo Méndez, and Patricia Rosenmeyer will discuss the essay: Hindy Najman and Irene Peirano Garrison, “Pseudepigraphy as an Interpretive Construct,” in The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha: Fifty Years of the Pseudepigrapha Section at the SBL, ed. Matthias Henze and Liv Ingeborg Lied, SBLEJL 50 (Atlanta: SBL, 2019), 331-355.

Please feel free to circulate this information in your academic networks - this event is available to all on Zoom. Hope to see you there!