Job: UMemphis.EvolutionaryNeuroethology

Alexandra Allison de Sousa

Sep 21, 2021, 2:15:39 AM9/21/21
to European Network for Brain Evolution Research

Assistant Professor (tenure track): Neuroethology

University of Memphis - Department of Biological Sciences

The Department of Biological Sciences at the University of Memphis
invites applications at the tenure-track Assistant Professor level
in neuroethology. We define neuroethology broadly, and candidates who
investigate the neural bases of animal behavior in whole organisms with a
strong focus on the natural ecological or evolutionary context of these
behaviors are encouraged to apply. We welcome researchers who combine
field and lab-based organismal approaches. The successful candidate is
expected to develop a research program that builds upon and complements
existing strengths in the department, including physiology & behavior,
ecology, biodiversity science and education, data science, genetics,
and genomics. In addition to research, duties will also include teaching
and supervision of students at the undergraduate, M.S., and Ph.D. levels,
with instruction in the Department of Biological Sciences. The Department
of Biological Sciences promotes a commitment to diversity, equity,
and inclusion as part of its core values, and we strive to maintain a
forum where all voices are heard. Thus, we seek to recruit and retain
the most qualified people from a diverse pool of applicants. Moreover,
our department is committed to supporting the work-life balance of its
faculty, staff, and students.

The available position is in the Department of Biological Sciences,
which currently consists of over 30 research or teaching faculty
members working in diverse subdisciplines of biology (see:
https://www.memphis.edu/biology).  Numerous University of Memphis
research centers and facilities such as the Center for Biodiversity
Research, Data Science Research Cluster, High-Performance Computing
Facility, Integrated Microscopy Center, and the Meeman Biological
Station, contribute a host of opportunities for innovative research
and collaboration. With an exceptionally collaborative and supportive
faculty, Biological Sciences is one of the largest departments at the
University of Memphis and hosts research programs and curricula covering
all major biological subdisciplines. In addition to a Ph.D. program,
B.S. and M.S. programs engage close to 1100 students.

Candidates must have a Ph.D. in a relevant discipline from an accredited
institution. We seek candidates with postdoctoral training, a record of
peer-reviewed publication and scholarly accomplishments commensurate
with experience, and evidence of funding potential. The successful
candidate will develop an extramurally funded research program
that advances their field of study while training graduate (M.S. &
Ph.D.) and undergraduate students. Teaching assignments will depend on
the candidate’s expertise and departmental needs. Faculty members are
also expected to engage in service activities at the department, college,
and university levels. Competitive salary and startup funds are available.

Applications must be submitted online at
https://workforum.memphis.edu/postings/28782 (position number 003242). To
apply, candidates should upload (i) a cover letter, (ii) CV including
contact information for three references (letters will be solicited for
short-listed candidates), (iii) research statement (listed as “other
document” in the application system), and (iv) teaching philosophy. Up
to three representative publications may also be uploaded as a single pdf
(optional). Review of applications will begin 10/08/2021, the closing
date for application. Inquiries can be directed to E. Keith Bowers
(search committee chair), Department of Biological Sciences, University
of Memphis, Memphis, TN 38152, USA (email: ekbo...@memphis.edu).

The University of Memphis is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
employer. Appointment will be based on qualifications as they relate to
position requirements without regard to race, color, national origin,
religion, sex, age, disability or veteran status.

EmersonKeith Bowers, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor & Station Director

Edward J. Meeman Biological Station
Department ofBiological Sciences