circular 1: Workshop "The Spectrum of Teaching in Humans and Other Animals"

Dr Nat

Jul 5, 2020, 12:13:40 PM7/5/20
to brain evolution
Dear colleagues,

I hope you are well, in spite of the circumstances.

Welcome to our online conference!

The call for papers is now open. Abstracts for talks and posters are
accepted on a rolling basis until July 5, 2020.
I would be grateful if you could circulate this call widely.

Information:
https://natalieuomini.wordpress.com/teaching-spectrum/

Dates: Wed 15 - Fri 17 July 2020

Times: half-days on each day. The workshop will take place each day in
the afternoons (Europe time) / mornings (North America time).

Program: short talks (10-20 minutes); keynote lectures (30-45
minutes); e-poster session; interactive discussions in smaller
parallel groups on particular topics; interactive tea/coffee breaks in
small chat rooms. There will also be plenty of opportunities to meet
socially in video chat and talk one-to-one with other participants.

We now have 12 confirmed keynote speakers from 8 disciplines.

different colours, and it enriches life. Teaching (defined in the wide
sense as helping others learn something) is manifested in a range of
behaviors that vary depending on the culture, the animal, or the
situation. In human societies around the world, and in different
animal species, teaching occurs with widely differing forms. Thus,
teaching can be considered as a spectrum, which ranges from local
enhancement to storytelling. The goal of this workshop is to bring
together scholars from multiple disciplines to share their research on
teaching in humans and other animals. We will discuss ways to
characterise the teaching spectrum, so that we may arrive at a
harmonised model of teaching which crosses disciplinary boundaries.
The ultimate aim is to better understand how teaching evolves, how it
manifests in different cultures, and how it can be improved in our
current society.

Call for presentations: Talks and posters are welcome on empirical
work and/or theoretical considerations, for example: teaching
behaviours in humans or other animals, the evolution of teaching,
teaching practices in cross-cultural perspective, etc. Participation
is welcome from scholars in animal behaviour, anthropology,
archaeology, biology, cognitive science, education, linguistics,
neuroscience, philosophy, psychology, etc. Submit your abstract for a
talk or a poster. Abstracts will be accepted on a rolling basis, until
July 5.
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT AN ABSTRACT:
https://mpisurvey.shh.mpg.de/index.php/259698?newtest=Y&lang=en

Registration: free of charge. Registration is required to access the
conference. Registration deadline is July 5.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER:
https://mpisurvey.shh.mpg.de/index.php/259698?newtest=Y&lang=en

Deadlines: Please send a short abstract for a talk or poster by July 5
at the latest. Abstracts are reviewed on a rolling basis until July 5.
Acceptance will be confirmed within 24 hours of submission. Register
by July 5 to get the link to attend.

We look forward to "see" you there!

--
Natalie Uomini