A new WM training effectiveness meta-analysis (2024)

Recursion

Mar 9, 2024, 7:53:29 AMMar 9
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
https://link.springer.com/article/10.3758/s13423-024-02466-8

A new meta-analysis of the effects of working memory training on working memory and intelligence.

TLDR. There is an effect on working memory, but it is too small to affect fluid intelligence (no effect was found on it).

Abdul Moiz

Apr 2, 2024, 2:43:58 PMApr 2
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I agree I also have gone through the study but the number of session performed are very less

If the plateau effect is achieved after way more session than I think further training may lead to greater and significant improvement.

fruitsnackattack

Apr 18, 2024, 9:11:51 AMApr 18
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence

i want to see the same test done after someone achieves quad 20 back

sight

Apr 18, 2024, 10:20:43 AMApr 18
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
sheep. cow. rooster. pick ur follower farm animal.

Notice how they've done ZERO on relational reasoning.

clearly, there's at the very least a mini-psyop against this stuff

pretty obvious

CLJACKSON04

Apr 18, 2024, 11:15:08 AMApr 18
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
The most likely reason why WM increases don’t increase fluid intelligence is that it doesn’t require any manipulation just storage.

Fluid intelligence is likely to be the corecruitment of WM and Logical reasoning.
Message has been deleted

itrn...@gmail.com

May 1, 2024, 2:49:12 PMMay 1
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I would say that's a premature sentiment. Literally no academic study focuses on participants who actually improve their N level dramatically, like for example D5B after one month -> D12B after 10 months consistent training. No academic study I know of even has participants with this level of commitment that seems to be more common within groups like this community. We can't rule out working memory training if the effect size simply isn't there. Most long term N backers will agree that up to around D5-7B, progress is very fast. Most of us get there after 1-2 months consistent training, lets say, 30-40min per day.

But for this early phase of training to have actually improved fluid g is more or less neurobiologically impossible. The neurobiology of fluid intelligence is based on several main structural attributes at the neuronal level: long distance axonal projections which are key for the fronto-parietal, and similar networks, the distribution of dendritic lengths in cortical regions important for storing and processing associative and sensory information, as well as the dendritic and synaptic density distributions along each dendritic compartment within those regions which either disrupt or facilitate high signal to noise ratio. None of these metrics actually can change that quickly, to the degree we want, within 1-2 months, unless you're still a child. Even then, unlikely I would say.

The only reason we see these quick "newbie gains" is imo due to a minor "specialization"-style reallocation/rewiring/redistribution of existing dendritic structures and synapses rather than actually building and elongating dendrites, which I see as the main truly IQ enhancing neuroplastic mechanism that may be possible in adults, and I do not think that in adults this can occur to the degree we want as quickly as 1-2 months. Unless nootropics but even then the nootropics supporting these types of mechanisms are simply not available for the general public yet. It's simply not biologically reasonable to expect true IQ gains from just 1-2 months of training. Unless you're on paired associative rTMS simultaneously strengthening the important IQ networks and optimizing for high gamma-theta synchrony and ratios, or other highly advanced devices and nootropics.

On Saturday, March 9, 2024 at 11:23:29 PM UTC+10:30 Recursion wrote:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.3758/s13423-024-02466-8

A new meta-analysis of the effects of working memory training on working memory and intelligence.

TLDR. There is an effect on working memory, but it is too small to affect fluid intelligence (no effect was found on it).

itrn...@gmail.com

May 1, 2024, 2:57:44 PMMay 1
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
note: fluid g, working memory, and mere "focusing ability" I think should be distinguished here, although in practice they usually are not teased apart. "Focusing ability" is highly trainable, and this can in IQ evaluations b be perceived as increase in IQ. But really no, they could very well have just gotten better at focusing etc etc on cognitive challenging tasks. True working memory capacity and fluid g, not so easily trainable I think.

banjoyell

Jun 5, 2024, 4:31:46 PMJun 5
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
It works, I am a retired RN, I dedicated myself to training for 3 months to see if it worked in a busy Critical care unit. A RN needs to remember a lot of things, these things need to be prioritized. What patient is first, who needs meds first, do I have the Meds?, who is arriving from the ER, where are my charts, What doctor needs to be called first  ect,  ect. These things go on for 12 hours, I noticed an improvement  in remembering the most important things first and just plain not having to write things down. I kept up better, my stress level went down. I maintained my training for most of my nursing career, I noticed when I did not train for a while. I am retired now and have not trained for years, I just started back and its very difficult, after 3 training sessions, I only hit level 4 once. I am 62 now and need to get back on it. It works in the real world.  A test should be run on nurses in a busy hospital setting, I think the results would be eye opening.

Mister McBlubbercus

Jun 6, 2024, 9:28:44 AMJun 6
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
That is really inspiring to hear @banjoyell. The fact that N-back has real-world effects for someone in hyper-stressful environments like hospitals is promising news.

I've been training 4 months now and I'm seeing similar results.