Brain training advice

William

Jun 28, 2021, 10:34:49 PM6/28/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Hey everyone,

Does anyone have answers to these questions?

Is over training a problem?

What exercises are the best?

How long should my sessions be?

How often should my sessions be?

If you have a routine that works, could you please share it?

fT3g0

Jul 4, 2021, 4:02:56 PM7/4/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
My routine is:
Everyday, Quad-N-back. Works better for me than Dual-N-back because I am not drawn to mentally redrawing/respeaking the pattern, because there is too much going on at the same time. Around 20 sessions per day. I use interference 25%.
This takes quite a bit of time, some days I will distribute it over the day and some days I will do it in one go. I take small breaks after sessions which I found to be taxing, just walking around in my room for 1-2 minutes or something. If I feel sleepy I might do some push-ups between sessions but I don't think that is key to the method.

I can't comment on overtraining because I have been training with almost the same frequency for the past few months.
I think getting good sleep is important, just from knowing some basic biology about neuroplasticity.

I have no clue if this is the best method. One problem is that there are very few people that have reached high scores at all, so there isn't very much data. I only know of Daniel Skilbeck, Leonardo and myself having reached Q6B (or something equivalent like T9B or D12B) recently, and a few people, of whom I don't know if they still train, 10 years back in time (https://groups.google.com/g/brain-training/c/NzCJ4-BJcHs)

robert chalean

Jul 6, 2021, 4:55:20 AM7/6/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Why no pentuple n-back?

robert chalean

Jul 6, 2021, 6:34:40 PM7/6/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Captura de Pantalla 2021-07-06 a la(s) 19.33.10.png

William

Jul 7, 2021, 10:59:40 PM7/7/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence

Thanks for replying fT3g0.

At the moment my routine is Dual 8-back and Quad 3-back sessions occasionally but not everyday. I do 100 trials per session with 12.5% interference setting. I only do around 30 minutes of this routine.

My theory is that if you do higher n-back sessions it causes faster progress, even if you're getting low scores like 20%. Personally I didn't feel much improvement when aiming for 100% scores at 5-back so I bumped the level up to 8-back. Obviously not enough data to know if this is the best, but it works for me right now.

Rotem Segev

Jul 8, 2021, 5:40:04 AM7/8/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Thank  you for your share of the regimen. So what are the effects of these training? Do you feel an improvement in your cognition?

William

Jul 9, 2021, 12:42:41 AM7/9/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Less tendency to procrastinate, stronger concentration, clear and organised thinking, better general memory, better verbal fluency. I experience this the day after training. The effects seem to wear off after a few days and only come back when I train again.

Pontus Granström

Jul 9, 2021, 1:58:26 AM7/9/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Yes this is true, go for a 40 minute run and then train, you will be even clearer.

itrn...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2021, 3:26:00 AM7/9/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Has anyone tried doing this for more than a few hours per day for abt a month?

William

Sep 27, 2021, 6:27:30 AM9/27/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I no longer do the 100 trials per session routine I described in my earlier post. Now I do default settings Quad 4-back 20-80 mins of pure training time aiming to hit 80% level up score.

unknown player

Nov 21, 2021, 7:41:46 PM11/21/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I am curious about this too as I am thinking about doing the same