Seeking Advice: Enhancing My Dual N-Back Training

SweetDnBs

Jan 15, 2024, 2:59:45 PMJan 15
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Hey there!

Recently, I have started training with dual n back. I have just finished my 200nd session and my level is somewhere in between DnB 3 and DnB 4. This made me think. How is someone training, who is further down my road?

Could you help me improve the training routine? How do you train?

I am currently playing/training DnB for about 20 minutes a day. On top, there are rest days once I have done 2 to 3 sessions in a row.
When I am playing the game, I try to keep all those letters I heard in my mind but it feels like my method (or my brain :D) is too slow.

Let me give you an example:
"A L H K" are the letters in 4-DnB. I repeat these letters in my head.
S pops up.
"A L H K S". I repeat all of them. Not the same. I rehears everything again. BUT the next one pops up already.
K pops up. I get confused and I loose track.

How do you do it?

Everything else, like social connections, sleep, exercise and food are all on a pretty good level.

Greetz,
SweetDnBs

Steinbi

Jan 15, 2024, 3:20:40 PMJan 15
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Hi SweetDnB, currently taking a short break from my sessions now so I can offer some advice. I've gone now from averaging between D4B/D5B to D5B/D6B now in about 2 weeks with this method and I'm seeing gradual but constant improvement in score and what I feel are WM improvement benefits in my daily life. I do about 20 sessions per day.

So, lets say you are training with n=4, and you get the sequence "C K H L", I mentally count to 4 along with it and note the letters/positions. When a new sequence start, lets say "C J K L", I start the counting again and match the positions/letters. Repeat until end of session. With low n values, I can get pretty consistently higher scores, but as I get higher scores, this requires more attention and my scores vary more due to waning attention or mental stamina. But with this method, I feel like I'm constantly "stretching" the limits of my memory and extending it. I use rehearsal mainly, but also some intuition trying to remember the stimuli. So far I've tried to minimize or not use chunking, but I'm curious to see how it works out for higher n values.

Stick to 20-30 sessions and play with the interval speed or session length, don't be afraid of fine-tuning the training to you, experiment with your WM limits, and keep in mind that you will have some days where you perform better or worse, don't worry about that. Just keep constantly pushing your limits.