training schedule: every day or 4 times a week?

Mr Nice

Mar 29, 2023, 10:11:59 PM3/29/23
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Hey guys, I have heard a lot of contradicting statements in terms of optimal training schedule. Suppose I want to make the most gains in one year, should I train
1) one time per day
2) two times per day with let us say 6h- apart each session
3) one time every 2 days or roughly 4 times a week

I am really not sure because intuitively, option 1) makes the most sense. But on the brain workshop site etc they talk about 4 times a week. Your help would be invaluable so I appreciate any comment.

All the best

Bobby Bracks

Mar 29, 2023, 11:04:17 PM3/29/23
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
You will have to see how you respond to training.
1. Choose the schedule that you feel the most comfortable with that you feel you can accomplish.
2. See how long you can keep your schedule consistent. After you either reach your goal, get bored and fall off schedule, or see no benefit then it is time to adjust your training. You can actually mirror a regiment similar to working out physically like weight training. Your brain is a muscle.
3. Do not get caught up in the numbers "Iq" and focus
on how much effort it is taking you to complete a task.  One of the first things you will notice is your ability of understanding and explaining what you are doing. You will then be able to use less effort to complete the same task.
4. Adjust your training and add more challenging ways to complete your training. Study the science behind it. This may sound irrelevant but many tasks like this are training primary faculties of the brain which translate to other activities. Iq is just a basis of the potential to do other tasks well. If you continue this with a mindset of curiosity and not just to get smarter you will be patient enough to recognize the changes.
5. These tasks test fluid intelligence and are different that crystalized intelligence so be aware that results for one will not be the same for another. Two people with the same Iq can do the same task differently.

Just my thoughts. Take what you can. Leave the rest.
Cheers -

Mitsa Original

Mar 30, 2023, 10:39:58 AM3/30/23
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Hey does anyone here practice image streaming

Mr Nice

Mar 31, 2023, 3:06:41 PM3/31/23
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
thanks a lot for your answer, Bobby. I wanted to do a "maximum" approach and see when my performance starts to decline.
One session with 30 rounds every time works fine. If I am able to do another round 6h later that day, I will. But some days I don't have the time or my performance is very bad on the second session. Then I stop and wait for the next day. Only a few days in but it seems to work.

Konstantin Rokossovski

Apr 3, 2023, 4:52:52 AM4/3/23
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I do twice a day 30 minutes, preferably after physical exercise. I set a timer of 30 minutes so I dont have to keep track of the number of sessions and can just continually do them with less than 5 seconds between sessions till the timer goess off. This helps focus, with too much time between sessions you don't train cognitive endurance and focus as much and I think its harder to push your brain to the limit.