Pushing the limits

Working Memory

Jan 10, 2024, 12:46:11 PMJan 10
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Is there a cap to how much you can train DnB each day?

Has anyone had any experience dedicating a lot of time and effort to improving?

Steinbi

Jan 11, 2024, 3:36:43 PMJan 11
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
1. As far as I know there is no conclusive research or consensus on a training limit. Some people in this group have warned against training for too long, citing over-activation/release of dopamine in the pre-frontal cortex. I don't have enough knowledge in neuroscience to back that up. In my personal opinion, it depends on your mental stamina/capacity. If I really push myself hard, I can not last long and either will see my score drop or I get tired and need to rest to recover my mental capacity. I think the brain has a certain limitation built-in to not overload itself or drain itself completely of some necessary chemicals it needs to function. I hate to use the old muscle training metaphor again, but if you over-use your muscles, you need to rest for longer for them to recover.

2. Many years ago I remember doing 1h sessions for a short while. I don't think I managed more than that due to being tired but I definitely felt it. Experienced the usual increased activity in the PFC (tingling in the front of your head) and vivid dreams, but ultimately it just drained me too much and prevented me from doing my other tasks. But it's been ages now since I did such long sessions. There was guy who was going to do long sessions of DNB and syllogimous and keep us updated but he seems to have either blown a fuse or stopped it (https://groups.google.com/g/brain-training/c/SP3avtfYRMM/m/i1n8TpeoBgAJ)

Working Memory

Jan 11, 2024, 7:01:52 PMJan 11
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Thanks for the input. My intuition tells me doing HIIT,  high intensity interval training for brain training is the way to go for increasing its ability. I just wonder if doing many intense sessions a day builds only more endurance instead of capability (in this context working memory via DnB and QnB). Mental endurance is definitely useful if you are trying to be as productive as possible each and every day, however, I am more interested in building more working memory capacity as fast as possible.

Other things I've considered, fasting to release BDNF to foster neuroplasticity.
Doing DnB -> exercising -> DnB to release BDNF to foster neuroplasticity.
Napping after DnB because apparently sleeping lets the brain rewire.

Perhaps eating certain foods/supplements right before or after would make a difference.

Perhaps doing DnB while running on a treadmill or peddling a stationary bike would lead to faster improvements.

Just looking to make gains ASAP

itrn...@gmail.com

May 1, 2024, 2:30:00 PMMay 1
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I am running an experiment(several participants have already started) regarding this specifically because I held the same sentiment. I have yet to see any academic research articles on N back focusing on participants who go from something like initial D3B -> D12B over 6-12 months, through many, many hours of training. All the anecdotes where ppl experienced truly remarkable/real IQ gains are in those who trained very long term, consistently, and experienced marked improvement in N back performance in the first place. The effect sizes in task improvement are simply too small. Thankfully, there are various methods that have been shown to enhance neuroplasticity, and not just nootropics or devices.

We are currently running running an experiment incorporating these training additions along with Quad N back, for a long term training trial. Feel free to join our discord to join the experiment. We need as many people as possible. https://discord.gg/2MvgWGGp

Additionally, we are currently trying to find methods to improve N back and find better settings/variations. 3D rotation, GC-synesthesia combination, variable grids, variable fields of vision, etc are some things we are considering after perusing the literature of the neurobiology of IQ.