Non-verbal IQ Gains from Relational Operant Training Explain Variance in Educational Attainment: An Active-Controlled Feasibility Study

robert chalean

Sep 4, 2020, 6:42:10 PM9/4/20
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence

tobyande...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2020, 10:40:35 PM9/5/20
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
This is fantastic Robert!
I have to admit, when I had initially tried your syllogism app, I was discouraged by the difficulty in learning the interface.
But this study gives me renewed motivation to start using your app.

An average 8.9 increase in IQ points? That is truly significant.
I'm sure there would be caveats, like the age of participants, speed/difficulty of training, etc.
But even still, without full knowledge, worth trying out Relational Operant Training.
I hope future studies shed more light on how to optimize this type of training.

On Friday, September 4, 2020 at 5:42:10 PM UTC-5 robert...@gmail.com wrote:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s41465-020-00187-z

Leonardo

Sep 8, 2020, 10:13:44 AM9/8/20
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Great finding. Thanks!

zwmcfa...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2020, 1:16:18 PM9/9/20
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
"Those in the experimental condition were given access to the training over a 4-month period during the school year, in which they received a minimum of 240 min of supervised training during their class under their teacher’s supervision."

Is this 4 hours of accumulated time over the course of the 4 months? "Discounting mid-term and Easter breaks, this amounted to approximately 3 months of training." So ~12 weeks of training at 5 days/week, approximates 60 days of training, meaning ~4 minutes a day?

Unless they're referring to 4 hours a school day, which seems unlikely to be approved. Someone help me out here.

Leonardo

Sep 12, 2020, 3:15:46 AM9/12/20
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I take around 10 minutes to answer 30 questions at level 5. I am sure that I am slower than what I would be using Spanish -my first language- instead of English. 4 minutes a day is really not that little.