Long term Nbackers (2+ years), How do you score on working memory tests?

Bo T

Sep 13, 2022, 8:15:19 AM9/13/22
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Hi everyone , I'm really interested to see how do people who have been practicing Nback for a prolonged period of time score on independent WM tests. Brainlabs.me is a free site with validated working memory tests, feel free to post your training regimen and your brainlabs memory scores. Thanks!

Pontus Granström

Sep 13, 2022, 8:36:53 AM9/13/22
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
Actually these brainlab tests are very skewed. You don't  know how many times a user have taken the tests etc. Few years ago I was on the leaderboard for several tests Odd-one out and rotations.
I took them after lunch score at 50th percentile and my reasoning was at the bottom 15% (I think I will retake) interestingly enough my mensa IQ was 128 (top 3%) and I can do better there as I didnt really push it with the
speed constraint.

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 2:15 PM Bo T <bora...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone , I'm really interested to see how do people who have been practicing Nback for a prolonged period of time score on independent WM tests. Brainlabs.me is a free site with validated working memory tests, feel free to post your training regimen and your brainlabs memory scores. Thanks!

Bo T

Sep 13, 2022, 8:46:58 AM9/13/22
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
How about a WAIS digit span test? It tests forwards, backwards and sequencing digit span.
This test is meant to be taken once , and takes a couple of minutes. Please report your scores on it.

Message has been deleted

Bo T

Sep 13, 2022, 9:59:00 AM9/13/22
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Wow those are very impressive scores bro, it is safe to assume that you have an exceptional working memory ability. It is definitely possible that you were always very bright, but if you had to guess, would you attribute your high WM to Nback based on your experiences?

On Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 4:36:23 PM UTC+3 david wrote:
i have been doing some form of n-back (dual, pentuple, etc) since june 2020. i'm currently on dual 12-back and pentuple 6-back.

i've been using brainlabs almost every day for the past month or so. keep in mind that the brainlabs tests are meant to be taken multiple times. i think most people have lower scores than they would expect in the beginning, but then after some time their scores reach a plateau. this plateau should be a more accurate assessment of your cognition. their own website acknowledges this. i'm not sure if my scores have plateaued yet, but on my first attempt i certainly scored lower than i expected.

at the beginning of august when i tried their daily tests for the first time, my c-score was 16(~70th percentile). my most recent c-score is 37(~99.9th percentile), and i would guess that my current average is somewhere around 30-32(~99th percentile).

my first memory score was 11(~30th percentile), and my most recent memory score was 24(~99th percentile).

i took the CAIT a few months ago and got a full scale IQ of 138. on the digit span section in particular, my scores were the following:

forwards: 16, 130IQ
backwards: 16, 142IQ
sequencing: 15, 145IQ
overall: 47, 146IQ
scaled score: 19

(this isn't from memory, i wrote down some of my results after i took the test)

there's something i think you should keep in mind. ideally you'd want a situation where someone takes some tests like these before starting any kind of n-back training, and then you'd have them take similar kinds of tests after a long period of time while they trained consistently. i have not done this, and i don't know if many people have. another thing to keep in mind is that i think the kinds of people who would be interested in n-back and brain training in the first place would likely score higher than the general population on cognitive tests like brainlabs. in other words, i think you should take these results with a grain of salt.

feel free to ask me anything if you have questions

Jun Ichigo

Oct 31, 2022, 6:35:06 PM10/31/22
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
David, if you have a time, and willingness to response, im pretty impressed with your scores, in most case memorizing Numbers without any memory techniques are hard in fact you can only retain at most 10-13 digits, can you visit Human Benchmark website and test Number Memory and tell me the score, how much you score there. Thanks

სამშაბათი, 13 სექტემბერი, 2022-ში 17:36:23 UTC+4-ზე david-მა დაწერა:
[...]

Leonardo

Nov 1, 2022, 2:47:27 AM11/1/22
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I always get so fucking nervous doing these tests, that I end up misclicking something. HumanBenchmarkNumbers.png
SequenceMemory.jpg
I think that my memory would be much better if I didn't go into cardiac arrest every time I'm being tested.

Pontus Granström

Nov 1, 2022, 3:16:19 AM11/1/22
to brain-t...@googlegroups.com
The norms are extremley wrong, digit span of 9 gives you an IQ of 88.

Leonardo

Nov 1, 2022, 4:27:01 AM11/1/22
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
VisualMemoryHB.png
The average scores at HumanBenchmark are so insane, man.

david

Nov 3, 2022, 7:22:14 AM11/3/22
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
2022-11-03_11-16-55.png
this is my result from a few minutes ago. i've done this test a bunch of times before, but not in several months. this is also my highest score (previous best was 16)

Bo T

Nov 3, 2022, 2:59:09 PM11/3/22
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
David, have you deliberately trained number memory on human benchmark before?
Also, have you had your working memory tested before you ever started dual-n-back? Would you say that your high working memory is a result of DnB or was it always like this?

Leonardo

Nov 3, 2022, 3:03:07 PM11/3/22
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
He is a savant or he uses mnemonics.

Leonardo

Nov 3, 2022, 3:32:54 PM11/3/22
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
HBNumbers.png
I think that I can do much better if I try first time in the morning. My main issue is how little time you get after 10 digits or so, my memory is too slow, if it was a little slower, I would be able to reach much higher levels, I believe.

I don't use mnemonics, only some chunking.
Message has been deleted

Leonardo

Nov 3, 2022, 4:12:38 PM11/3/22
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I have been doing 4-penta-variable-back for some time, and my memory for numbers have actually decreased, I don't think that n-back per se does anything at all.

El jueves, 3 de noviembre de 2022 a las 21:07:09 UTC+1, david escribió:
i wouldn't say i deliberately trained it. before today, i had played number memory about 10 times at pretty sporadic intervals (at least a few weeks between each time, it wasn't something i did regularly). and again, the last time i had played it before today was several months ago.

i don't recall taking any kind of working memory tests before i started n-back or brain training in general (roughly 2.5 years ago). i think my working memory has always been pretty decent as far as i can remember, but i have still noticed improvements. the main effects i've noticed are relevant to focus/concentration. i notice that it is easier for me to focus for long periods of time, and i also notice that my concentration feels much more "intense" if that makes sense. in my experience it's analogous to flexing a muscle

robert chalean

Nov 3, 2022, 6:00:21 PM11/3/22
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I think n-back augment the time that can focus in a task but measured in hours if study guitar  now can study two hour. other types of training can produce that like play guitar per se but n-back also do it

BM XT

Nov 4, 2022, 8:28:03 AM11/4/22
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I've recently read an opinion of one neuroscientist (Elkhonon Goldberg) that conventional WM test are designed fundamentally wrong because that's not how your WM works in normal conditions. Like ot's wrong to have external commands to memorise something and to be focused on the material that isn't intreresting for you in first place. And he wrote this in 2001 ("The Executive Brain: Frontal Lobes and the Civilized Mind" book).

пятница, 4 ноября 2022 г. в 03:00:21 UTC+5, robert...@gmail.com: