Reading and IQ

David Wood

May 31, 2023, 1:33:50 PM5/31/23
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Hello, I am wondering if there have been any studies on simply improving the IQ via reading.  I can't find any, which I find surprising.

Since barely anyone reads in any significant amount, and relational reasoning training has proven transfer gains basically by improving the mind's understanding of language, it would seem like reading, which improves the understanding of language, should also improve the IQ to some degree.

Does anyone have any thoughts/scientific literature on this?

Examples would be if you look at a couple of well known intelligent people, such as Bill Gates and Elon Musk, both of them read the encyclopedia as very young children.  It would be curious to me if they were intelligent because they read the encyclopedia, or if being intelligent made them read the encyclopedia (Gates read the World Book, Musk read the Britannica twice)

Just curious, as I would much rather read than play brain games.

Arcadia

Jun 3, 2023, 3:26:37 PM6/3/23
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I don't have cites but personally, I found that my ability to listen to audio and watch videos while retaining the information goes up from 1.5x without active dual n-back training to 2x with active training.