A couple more experiments

Fredo Corleone

Sep 29, 2021, 6:53:39 AM9/29/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Hi guys,

I've just made a couple more N-backs that you have to play with your headphones.

Which is a very simple Dual N-back in which sounds are panning from one ear to the other, this is cool because you can play with your eyes closed.

You have two different sounds patterns in your ears and you match them indipendently.
"Scientists have discovered that the left and right ears process sound differently.".
With this I'm testing if it helps with connecting the two hemispheres.
Another idea would be to make so that the pattern to match is the arithmetic sum of numbers your hear.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Fredo

Fredo Corleone

Sep 29, 2021, 7:30:05 AM9/29/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Following some cool fact about dichotic listening:

"...dichotic listening should be considered a test of functional inter-hemispheric interaction and connectivity, besides being a test of lateralized temporal lobe language function [...] the corpus callosum is critically involved in the top-down attentional control of dichotic listening performance, thus having a critical role in auditory laterality."  Westerhausen and Hugdahl, 2008

"...the provided stimuli (Phonetic, emotion) had a significant presence on activating the different parts of the brain in charge of the specific stimuli."  Hugdahl, 2015

What if we inject emotional sounds to the right ear and phonetic ones to the left ear?
It could because like a cross-crawl on steroid.

For those of you that don't know what cross-crawl is:
"Cross crawl exercises refer to movements in which we use opposition such as crawling, walking, running, and swimming. Opposition means that opposite sides of the body work together to coordinate the right arm and left leg, then the left arm and right leg.
Therapeutically, cross crawl refers to any intentional cross-lateral activity in which you cross the mid-line of the body, such as touching opposite hand and knee or foot."

And a story about its use:
"Dr. Hannaford tells the story of Todd, a 16-year-old who, despite tremendous effort on the part of both himself and his parents, still couldn't read.
This was, as you might imagine, a huge problem. He wouldn't be able to graduate from high school if he couldn't read. He wouldn't be able to attend college or hold any number of jobs. His life would be, in many ways, compromised.
Fortunately, he and his parents were told about cross-lateral movements. The whole family started doing the cross-crawl with Todd, daily. They did it twice--once in the morning, before leaving for school (and work); and once in the evening, before bed.
Six weeks later, Todd was reading
At grade level. "

Fredo Corleone

Sep 29, 2021, 7:32:00 AM9/29/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
"It could because like a cross-crawl on steroid." I intended to write become, not because. xD

Fredo Corleone

Sep 29, 2021, 2:51:37 PM9/29/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
I'm thinking about implementing different kinds of stimuli to create a cross-stimulation for the brain.

My idea is to use auditory stimuli for the left ear that are most likely processed by the left side of the brain, and conversely for the right ear.

It seems that I can use numbers for the right ear, as long as numbers are small enough (in the subitizing zone), and letters for the left ear.
Even better would be to use sounds that evoke emotional states, but I don't know what they could be...

Some finding:

"Usually dichotic listening tests show a right-ear advantage for speech sounds. Right-ear/left-hemisphere advantage is expected, because of evidence from Broca's area and Wernicke's area, which are both located in the left hemisphere. In contrast, the left ear (and therefore the right hemisphere) is often better at processing nonlinguistic material"
Dichotic Listening - Wikipedia

"[...] the left parietal cortex is involved in letter identity, and critically in letter position coding [...]  Previous neuroimaging studies have reported specific right-lateralized patterns of activation for numerical processing [...] fMRI data showed a preference for number strings compared with letter strings in the right lateral occipital cortex and a contrary preference for letters compared with numbers in the left fusiform [...] while word processing follows a left lateralized pathway, visual number processing follows a right lateralized pathway [...]"
Orthographic Coding: Brain Activation for Letters, Symbols, and Digits - OxfordAcademy

"Subitizing is the rapid, accurate, and confident judgments of numbers performed for small numbers of items. [...] the existence of further activations during counting in the right inferior frontal regions, and the anterior cingulate have been interpreted as suggesting the existence of distinct processes during counting related to the activation of regions involved in the shifting of attention."
Subitizing - Wikipedia

"A low subitizing limit was almost always associated with a right-hemisphere lesion."
What impairs subitizing in cerebral palsied children? - PubMed

"In our new study, in which we used healthy volunteers, we found the left side processes large numbers, and the right processes small numbers. So for instance if you were looking at a clock, the numbers one to six would be processed on the right side of the brain, and six to twelve would be processed on the left."
Big and small numbers are processed in different sides of the brain - ScienceDaily

itrn...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2021, 10:29:19 PM9/29/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
pretty damn cool I think!
The dichotic n back controls don't work for me

Fredo Corleone

Sep 30, 2021, 8:26:57 AM9/30/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
What browser do you use?

Fredo Corleone

Sep 30, 2021, 8:44:45 AM9/30/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Some other interesting findings:

When the corpus callosum is severed the brain splits into two different stream of consciousness and things get processed exclusively by the opposing part of the brain.

This is something called Brain Lateralization, and it's the undeniable proof that you can force stimuli to pass through the corpus callosum, perhaps strenghtening it, with training with cross-stimulating your sense.

I can implement dichotic stimuli for vision too, thanks to the fact that when you focus on a point, images to the left of that point are sent to the right hemisphere, and viceversa.

split brain.jpg

itrn...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2021, 11:29:46 AM9/30/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
chrome

Fredo Corleone

Sep 30, 2021, 1:08:41 PM9/30/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Same here and it works... Weird, the code for handling the base stuff is the same as for the other N-back. Can you retry? Thanks
Maybe clear your cache as I've changed an identifier for the app, that's saved into your browser's localStorage.

itrn...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2021, 1:14:44 PM9/30/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
are the buttons supposed to react when we click on them? I have no idea if clicking them or their respective keys is doing anything. I tried clearing the cache and relaunching chrome.

Fredo Corleone

Sep 30, 2021, 1:30:46 PM9/30/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Not by default.
I turned off the feedback by default.

If you slide the "Clue feedback?" you can turn it on.

directions.png

Fredo Corleone

Sep 30, 2021, 3:32:48 PM9/30/21
to Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence
Just introduced the dichotic visual stimuli.
The game should be playing focusing on the black midline, just like in the split brain experiment.
Let me know how it goes.
I've also changed default setting, increasing delay and turning on feedback.
landscape.pngportrait.png