Focus 40

Linda Deacon

Aug 18, 2022, 4:29:19 PM8/18/22
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know where we can get hold of a replacement battery for my daughter's focus? She tells me it keeps turning itself off and that she believes the battery isn't charging properly any more. Is it possible to replace them? She's had the display a few years and used it a great deal in that time. Any advice welcome.

Thanks from Linda

Charles

Aug 18, 2022, 4:55:05 PM8/18/22
to brail...@googlegroups.com

I don't know which battery suppliers are in merry old England.  Here in Canada we have a number of such companies as Total Battery, Batteries Plus, and more than these.Aside from anything F.S. might be able to do (and you'll definitely pay for it), it is generally easier and less costly to have custom batteries rebuilt by a battery company rather than buying them from the braille display supplieritself.  They can either rebuild the one you have, or they can make another.

Let us know how you do and what solution you find.  Batteries have been a pain in the braille with these braille displays for decades now, and it really need not be so.

Charles

--
If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.
---

Chris McMillan

Aug 18, 2022, 5:32:46 PM8/18/22
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Did you buy it from RNIB Linda?   Easiest to ask them. Or the UK selling company?

Chris

Jack Zimmerman

Aug 18, 2022, 7:38:23 PM8/18/22
to brail...@googlegroups.com
I was never so HAPPY the day i finally got rid of that thing! It is beyond doubt the WORST DISPLAY I have ever used!  And I have Bbeen using cthe things for almost 30 years anow. Even the perkins mini is better than that thing! But I'd not foool with that  though Miz Linda! You used to be able to go get batteriesplus to make you one but you can't do that with these new batteries!  Better just bite the Bullit and contact sight and sound or what have you over there and yes it'll cost a BOMB That's how they make   their money ya know??

Jack and BECKY  :-)
sent  from  our  iPhingers

On Aug 18, 2022, at 3:29 PM, Linda Deacon <lmdea...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Does anyone know where we can get hold of a replacement battery for my daughter's focus? She tells me it keeps turning itself off and that she believes the battery isn't charging properly any more. Is it possible to replace them? She's had the display a few years and used it a great deal in that time. Any advice welcome.

Thanks from Linda

Jos Sprenkels

Aug 19, 2022, 1:04:29 AM8/19/22
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Linda,

When replacing the battery with FS you will get the correct one and also will the unit be looked through. This means that with a stamp from those who make it, it will work in fine order.
Replacing the battery by yourself or a person with technical knowledge is possible, you might damage a part of the unit and then cost might be much more to replace or get it resolved.

I do not know if you have a FS dealer or can contact them directly but surely make contact and discuss your options.
When need of sending it in you will get it cleaned out and in good order back again. This is my experience here in the Netherlands with Vespero.

Kind regards,
Jos

Op 18 aug. 2022, om 22:29 heeft Linda Deacon <lmdea...@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:

Does anyone know where we can get hold of a replacement battery for my daughter's focus? She tells me it keeps turning itself off and that she believes the battery isn't charging properly any more. Is it possible to replace them? She's had the display a few years and used it a great deal in that time. Any advice welcome.

Thanks from Linda

Jack Zimmerman

Aug 19, 2022, 4:02:08 AM8/19/22
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I Quite Agree! No one better to work on it than the folks who  actually made the thing! Plus They don't want you doing this and have made it as difficult as POSSIBLE! Heh! But well some folks just don't HAVE that kinda money! It was maybe purchased FOR THEM which otherise they may not have got it since they could not afford it on their own!  Just something to think about dear ONES!!

Jack and BECKY  :-)
sent  from  our  iPhingers

On Aug 19, 2022, at 12:04 AM, Jos Sprenkels <jos.sp...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

Hi Linda,

geo...@techno-vision.co.uk

Aug 19, 2022, 5:42:11 AM8/19/22
to brail...@googlegroups.com

I’d love to know of a British company like Total Battery who can rebuild such batteries.

My most recent case involves a guy with two displays where the batteries have failed.  The supplier no longer provides replacement batteries, and he’s potentially facing a £6,000 each for the later displays.

“Daylight robbery” doesn’t even begin the describe this.

George

Linda Deacon

Aug 19, 2022, 6:03:49 AM8/19/22
to brail...@googlegroups.com
So is there no way we can recalibrate it or anything? The unit works, it would be a real waste to have to just throw it out.

From Linda

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/vmime.62fea11b.2a1c.18dd0993579f91e5%40DESKTOP-BP5DNF0 .

--

If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.

---

If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.

---

Original7e6813b221..html

Jen Bottom

Sep 1, 2022, 12:53:23 PM9/1/22
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Linda,

I have an old PacMate (which has a detachable Braille Display part).

If you are unable to get a replacement/fix and would like this as a
stop gap contact me off list.

Best,
Jen.