Captions to Braille?

Chris Bennett

Mar 16, 2024, 10:51:41 AMMar 16
to Braillists
Hello! Forgive the beginner question here: I'm a technologist who's curious if there would be any reason or benefit to converting closed captions, such as those on a YouTube stream or Netflix show, into Braille in real-time? I don't experience difficulties with sight or hearing, yet still find myself enabling closed captions on videos when it is difficult to hear dialogue. This made me wonder if a similar level of assistance (captions to Braille) would be useful or not. Thank you! -Chris

Sean Randall

Mar 16, 2024, 11:06:22 AMMar 16
to brail...@googlegroups.com

Screen readers can already do this, so apart from tidying up some of the implementations and perhaps standardising how that works I think it’s already a thing.

I find it useful in Teams meetings, particularly if someone has a very annoying voice – although of course if you are deaf or hard of hearing it becomes far more useful.

--
If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.
---

Chris Bennett

Mar 16, 2024, 11:14:18 AMMar 16
to Braillists
Thanks Sean. I wasn't sure if screen readers on a YouTube page for example would gracefully focus on reading the captions and not the text surrounding the video. I've been experimenting with a few novel ways to get live captions out of media, like major streaming apps, and while reading an unrelated post about Braille technology it made me wonder if there were any gaps that screen readers don't handle as well as they should.