Braille edge 40 - help needed please

Rachel Usher

Oct 8, 2021, 5:36:44 PM10/8/21
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hello all. This question is on behalf of a friend who is struggling to connect her braille edge 40 to her phone.

With help from the user guide i went through the pairing steps with her. Although we got it paired, the phone and the display won't connect for some reason; nothing is coming up on the display. It's difficult for me because i'm having to help her over the phone, therefore can't physically check what's happening for myself. We tried all the obvious things like re-starting the phone and the braille display in case it was just a technical glitch, but that's made no difference. I just wondered if anybody might be able to suggest anything else please. I'm guessing now that some displays can be more temperamental than others. Many thanks in advance for any help.

Scott Davert

Oct 8, 2021, 5:55:20 PM10/8/21
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rachael.
I few things to consider. Have you had your friend reset network settings on her phone? Is this an iPhone or Android device? It's certainly becoming a dated Bluetooth chip, but I'm able to connect a Braille Edge to my iPhone SE2020 fine. It's running iOS 15.0.1. If on an iPhone, have you been pairing through VoiceOver's braille menu?

Scott

Sent from my iPhone

--
If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.
---

Bachir BENANOU

Oct 9, 2021, 4:05:50 AM10/9/21
to brail...@googlegroups.com

    Hello, Rachel and everyone,

The Braille Edge 40 by Hims can connect to Android phones via Bluetooth using BrailleBack. This Play Store app must be installed in order for Braille  to work. If you are using Google TalkBack, then you'll have to activate both BrailleBack and TalkBack services under "Accessibility Settings".

Connecting this Braille Display to Apple VoiceOver is quite straightforward, provided you choose "Bluetooth Mobile Serial Port" on the Braille Edge once "Terminal for Screen Reader" is launched from the tools menu.

I hope this helps,

Do tell us which OS you're using. I'll be very happy to lend a hand.

                                                Good luck,

                                                    Bachir

Rachel Usher

Oct 10, 2021, 9:43:45 AM10/10/21
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hello Scott, and thanks for your suggestions. We will try these during
next session.

All the Best.
Rachel