Help with Braille Sense U2 qwerty.

Andrea Hope

Sep 25, 2023, 11:37:41 AM9/25/23
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,
> It's Andrea Hope here. I used to be on the group before, but somehow my email address was removed when I tried to send an email earlier. Anyway I've re-subscribed again now.
I'm wondering if anyone can help. A couple of weeks ago I did a swop with someone I gave them my two focus Braille displays for their Braille Sense U2 qwerty because I was wanting a display with a qwerty keyboard. This is a great device, but I see it's no longer available, but technical help is still available. I know I can pair it to my phone, but I was wanting it to use the email function and social media function on it. I was wanting to use it as a stand alone display. However, I've connected it to my Wi-Fi and even though it says it's connected, it's showing as being offline and there's no internet connection. I don't have an internet cable long enough to plug into my Wi-Fi and where I sit. Can it connect to a 5G network? Or does it have to be 2G. I'm not sure now what to do because obviously there are no more software updates for it. Any help would be appreciated. I don't know what to do next as I like the qwerty keyboard. I know a lot of the displays have the Perkins keyboard which is fine, but I've been trying to get my hands on a display that's qwerty for ages. I couldn't afford to buy something like a mantis outright and can't even find somewhere where I can pay it off in instalments. I would find a display with a qwerty keyboard handy for taking notes in meetings and a lot of other things without needing to have the speech on and I'm quicker on a qwerty than I am on a Perkins. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

> Sent from my iPad

Jackie Brown

Sep 25, 2023, 11:50:18 AM9/25/23
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrea

I think the Sense U2 only works on 2.4ghz. You have to go into Settings and ensure that Wireless LAN is turned on, it isn't by default.

I can tell you that Twitter won't work on the U2 any more because it's classed as a third party app, but you might have more luck with Facebook.

I believe HumanWare offers a repayment scheme on its products, but you would be better checking with them if you would like a Mantis Q40. Their number is 01933 415800.

Good luck.

Kind regards,

Jackie Brown
Email: jackiean...@gmail.com
--
If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.
---

Andrea Hope

Sep 25, 2023, 1:59:34 PM9/25/23
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jackie, thanks for this. I have the WLAN turned on already. I've no idea how to enable 2G. I know I can pair it with my phone, but I wanted to use it as a stand alone display considering it could connect to Wi-Fi. And I could use the email program on it. I can't find a long enough Ethernet cable and I had hoped to be wireless. I'll look into the instalment payments with humanware.
I wish these displays were more affordable and not so much out of people's reach. I know a lot of work, time and effort as well as a lot of technology goes into them, but they're so hard to get.
Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad

> On 25 Sep 2023, at 4:50 pm, Jackie Brown <jackiean...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Andrea
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/009a01d9efc7%24f9579fe0%24ec06dfa0%24%40gmail.com.

Adi Kushnir

Sep 25, 2023, 3:07:13 PM9/25/23
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Dear Andrea,
I am sorry for your situation.
Look, it might be difficult to connect the U2's email program to modern providers such as Gmail or Outlook Office 365, since they use a modern authentication method which is not supported by these old machines.
Also their web browser is really out of date, as well as many other online services which got updated since then.
I personally think that today the U2 is only good enough to use as a terminal, or with its built-in offline functions.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/7544BCED-71F7-47EF-83CF-D46C538B6495%40gmail.com.

,

[Fabrikam]
HTML Disclaimer Title

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual(s) addressed in the message. If you aren't the named addressee, you should not disseminate, distribute, or copy this e-mail. If you aren't the intended recipient, you aren'tified that disclosing, distributing, or copying this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

Fabrikam, Inc. <http://www.fabrikam.com>

Adi Kushnir

,

[Fabrikam]
HTML Disclaimer Title

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual(s) addressed in the message. If you aren't the named addressee, you should not disseminate, distribute, or copy this e-mail. If you aren't the intended recipient, you aren'tified that disclosing, distributing, or copying this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

Fabrikam, Inc. <http://www.fabrikam.com>

Charles

Sep 25, 2023, 3:45:54 PM9/25/23
to braillists
    It is likely that the BrailleSense U2's firmware is old enough now
that one simply can no longer connect to the internet.  For instance, I
can have google do a search on the U2 here, but I cannot access the web
pages or download anything from that search.  The two web browsers are
no longer operable, and the same for the youtube application and for
e-mail.  The network status shows that the U2 is connected to my network
here, but I cannot use it on the net.  I am not interested in social
media so scratch that.  I use the U2 for a braille notetaking display,
for reading documents, and for media on the go, so I'm not interested in
using it to access the internet in any of its forms.  Hims Inc. is no
longer updating the U2, and although it appears they are updating their
BrailleSense 6 its version of burned-in Android is at least four
flavours out of date now.  So, it seems to make more sense to connect
one's display up with an ultraportable computer like a Mele Quieter 3C
or similar, or an Iphone, rather than sinking thousands into a dedicated
notetaker that will fail or become obsolete in short enough order.

Charles

On 2023-09-25 1:59 p.m., Andrea Hope wrote:
> Hi Jackie, thanks for this. I have the WLAN turned on already. I've no idea how to enable 2G. I know I can pair it with my phone, but I wanted to use it as a stand alone display considering it could connect to Wi-Fi. And I could use the email program on it. I can't find a long enough Ethernet cable and I had hoped to be wireless. I'll look into the instalment payments with humanware.
> I wish these displays were more affordable and not so much out of people's reach. I know a lot of work, time and effort as well as a lot of technology goes into them, but they're so hard to get.
> Thanks again.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On 25 Sep 2023, at 4:50 pm, Jackie Brown<jackiean...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Andrea
>>
>> I think the Sense U2 only works on 2.4ghz. You have to go into Settings and ensure that Wireless LAN is turned on, it isn't by default.
>>
>> I can tell you that Twitter won't work on the U2 any more because it's classed as a third party app, but you might have more luck with Facebook.
>>
>> I believe HumanWare offers a repayment scheme on its products, but you would be better checking with them if you would like a Mantis Q40. Their number is 01933 415800.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Jackie Brown

Jack Zimmerman

Sep 25, 2023, 3:55:21 PM9/25/23
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hello to all!

Sadly, charles has the right of it. The machine is simply to degraded slash old to be used for much of Anything on the internet. Further I found that when I paired mine with my iphone the functionality was very limited!

Sorry to be the barer of bad news!
Jack and Bex In Tx.

Sent from my iPod

On Sep 25, 2023, at 2:45 PM, Charles <wp...@rogers.com> wrote:

[...]
--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Braillists" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/35b697de-370a-f91e-80df-4634daacfde1%40rogers.com.

Jackie Brown

Sep 26, 2023, 2:42:06 AM9/26/23
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrea

You shouldn't need to find 2ghz, the U2 should pick it up automatically if that's the only protocol you have. It isn't because it is so outdated that you can't use it, the unit sometimes does struggle with wireless connectivity, it always did. When I had the Braille version and took it away with me, I had exactly the same issues. Basically you should go into Settings, Setup Internet, let it search for your WiFi, then connect, adding your password before doing so. If necessary, delete any connections that exist before pressing the soft reset button at the rear of the unit and trying again. It is sold in the UK by Sight and Sound, so perhaps you could see what they have to say if you get no joy on your own.

Kind regards,

Jackie Brown
Sep 28, 2023, 3:18:57 PM9/28/23
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone, thanks for all your comments.
Jackie, I have 5G, as the Braille sense has connected to the 5G it can't see 2G so I'm assuming my Wi-Fi router doesn't have the 2G connection. When I go into set up internet it seems to get stuck and it won't let me delete what's there. Unless there's a way of me being able to somehow get the 2G to show up on the router if it has it, then I'll not be able to use it on WiFi. I'm a bit disappointed because I had hoped to use all the features on it. I will get in touch with Sight and Sound and see what they suggest. If I can't get much joy from thenm, I'll probably end up selling it to someone who's just happy to use it as a stand alone machine and maybe pair it to their smart device. I have found though that if sending a text using it it seems to be better writing it in the terminal clipboard and then sending it to the phone through the terminal. It doesn't seem to like typing in the main edit box on the phone.
It's a shame as it's a nice wee machine.

Sent from my iPad