Magic touch: how ‘revolutionary’ changes are making braille better than ever |

claire amoroso

Nov 19, 2023, 12:03:16 PM11/19/23
to brail...@googlegroups.com

geo...@techno-vision.co.uk

Nov 23, 2023, 6:54:02 AM11/23/23
to brail...@googlegroups.com

As the article linked below says, braille was invented in 1824.

Are there any plans afoot to celebrate the 200th anniversary next year?

George

--
If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.
---

Charles

Nov 23, 2023, 7:11:21 AM11/23/23
to braillists
Yes.  Next year UNESCO will be distributing free braille displays throughout several countries, except for: Canada, the U.K., The U.S., Sweden and Norway.  Immgrants in Germany from the middle east will receive free braille displays whether or not they need them, but not native Germans.

Dave Williams

Nov 23, 2023, 8:07:31 AM11/23/23
to Braillists Forum
The date of invention is slightly ambiguous. Apparently if you live in France and you search for braille invention you get the year 1825. So for that reason the European blind union will be centring their celebrations around that year. However, many English sources, including Miriam and Webster and Britannica state 1824. And clearly we cannot get those reprinted with such short notice.. The international council on English braille will be having 200 years of braille as the theme for the general assembly in May 2024.

So I have put forward the pragmatics suggestion that the UK celebrate 200 years of braille throughout the academic year, starting in September 2024, and concluding in summer 2025.

--
Dave Williams
Inclusive Design, RNIB

________________________________

On 2023-11-23 6:53 a.m., geo...@techno-vision.co.uk<mailto:geo...@techno-vision.co.uk> wrote:

As the article linked below says, braille was invented in 1824.

Are there any plans afoot to celebrate the 200th anniversary next year?

George

Nov 23, 2023, 8:23:57 AM11/23/23
to brail...@googlegroups.com
In Poland 1824 is regarded as the invention year as well with October as the designated month with the invention being complete.
Best wishes,
Klaudia

Klaudia Suchowiak

Sent from my iPhone

> On 23 Nov 2023, at 13:07, Dave Williams <dave.w...@braillists.org> wrote:
>
>  The date of invention is slightly ambiguous. Apparently if you live in France and you search for braille invention you get the year 1825. So for that reason the European blind union will be centring their celebrations around that year. However, many English sources, including Miriam and Webster and Britannica state 1824. And clearly we cannot get those reprinted with such short notice.. The international council on English braille will be having 200 years of braille as the theme for the general assembly in May 2024.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/CWLP123MB4690303CF138B7A21DF31BCF9BB9A%40CWLP123MB4690.GBRP123.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.
> <winmail.dat>

geo...@techno-vision.co.uk

Nov 23, 2023, 4:12:16 PM11/23/23
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

Surely the French, of all nations, must have some authenticated
documentation regarding the year. AVH (Association Valentin Hauy),
established in 1889 will surely know for sure

My own feeling is that Miriam and Webster and Britannica will have done
their own research to arrive at 1824

George

Norway. Immigrants in Germany from the middle east will receive free
braillists+...@googlegroups.com<mailto:braillists+unsubscribe@google
groups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/DB9P193MB1257BAB63B14FF92839134
20C6B5A%40DB9P193MB1257.EURP193.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM<https://groups.google.com/d
/msgid/braillists/DB9P193MB1257BAB63B14FF9283913420C6B5A%40DB9P193MB1257.EUR
P193.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please
email he...@braillists.org<mailto:he...@braillists.org> with a clear
description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have
received.
---
email to
braillists+...@googlegroups.com<mailto:braillists+unsubscribe@google
groups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/031d01da1e03%24beab6650%243c023
2f0%24%40techno-vision.co.uk<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/03
1d01da1e03%24beab6650%243c0232f0%24%40techno-vision.co.uk?utm_medium=email&u
tm_source=footer>.

--
If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please
email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward
on any error messages you may have received.
---
email to
braillists+...@googlegroups.com<mailto:braillists+unsubscribe@google
groups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/6f70d7e5-76b0-42b6-af57-155f104
2c39d%40rogers.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/6f70d7e5-76b
0-42b6-af57-155f1042c39d%40rogers.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please
email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward
on any error messages you may have received.
---
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/CWLP123MB4690303CF138B7A21DF31B
CF9BB9A%40CWLP123MB4690.GBRP123.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.

Dave Williams

Nov 23, 2023, 5:03:38 PM11/23/23
to Braillists Forum
Yes you would think so wouldn’t you. I did speak with AVH. They don’t have any primary sources sadly.

--
Dave Williams
Inclusive Design, RNIB
Chair, Braillists Foundation
+447890396117

Nov 24, 2023, 4:50:20 AM11/24/23
to brail...@googlegroups.com
There are/have been biographies on Louis Braille too.  What have they got?  Or as I suspect, there’s not an actual “day zero”, being in those days not something thought about as it took time to be formally agreed and spread from school to school and then in formal print.

Just my few francs worth.

Chris

New email from Oct 2023 Chrismc...@gmail.com