Braille display for kindle

瀏覽次數:11 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Mary Lea

未讀,
2022年8月18日 下午4:49:132022/8/18
收件者:brail...@googlegroups.com
So, I would love to be able to read my old kindle books. What's the best cheap braille display I can use?

Jack Zimmerman

未讀,
2022年8月18日 晚上7:31:352022/8/18
收件者:brail...@googlegroups.com
Isn't cheap braille display an oxymoron? like Frightfully Good??

Jack and BECKY  :-)
sent  from  our  iPhingers

--
If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.
---

Mary Lea

未讀,
2022年8月18日 晚上8:34:232022/8/18
收件者:brail...@googlegroups.com
Well, I have been coming to that conclusion! They all seem to run into the thousands. But my narrator doesn't lend itself to an enjoyable kindle experience, and I was thinking advice before I start putting money aside for it is probably wise. My Dad has hinted he might help out. I just can't make sense of the reviews though.

Jack Zimmerman

未讀,
2022年8月18日 晚上8:43:352022/8/18
收件者:brail...@googlegroups.com
Well I sure do know how you uhm feel about that!  Have you taken a look at the orbit reader forty?  It should  do what you want for around 1500 have no idea what it'll cost over "there,  probably about twice that, ssigh!  but it'ss a fairly GOOD display! The only problem de the pens! Once they go down or pop tup, they Lock into place and when they get stuck which then quite oftin do, "there's no way to free them  except to send the silly thing back in.  which you would need to do about Every six months or so. None of these things,    are made as well as they could be.  I should also say many people have had many problems with them including myself, but it IS cheaper than other displays!  Hope that helps somewhat! Smile!

Jack and BECKY  :-)
sent  from  our  iPhingers

On Aug 18, 2022, at 7:34 PM, Mary Lea <thessal...@gmail.com> wrote:

Charles

未讀,
2022年8月18日 晚上9:02:542022/8/18
收件者:brail...@googlegroups.com

If you mean an inexpensive braille display, well none of them really.  The Orbits are the least expensive of the expensive at the outset which is the severe qualifier.  If you mean cheap as in lesser quality, that includes all of them compared to the displays from years ago.  It seems no matter which company, the cells give out sooner, require more maintenance, and the boot sectors of the displays crash often enough.  If a display lasts five years without some major malfunction, it won't last much longer than this.

Just my thoughts.

Charles

geo...@techno-vision.co.uk

未讀,
2022年8月19日 清晨5:35:492022/8/19
收件者:brail...@googlegroups.com

If you have Duxbury, use it to translate and Save As a BRF file.

You should then be able to read the BRF files on a Canute 360 which displays 9 lines of up to 40 cells.

George

--

Jackie Brown

未讀,
2022年8月19日 清晨6:23:052022/8/19
收件者:brail...@googlegroups.com

This is exactly what I do.  I convert all my Kindle purchases and read that way.

Kind regards,

Jackie Brown

Email: jackiean...@gmail.com

Linda Deacon

未讀,
2022年8月19日 清晨6:27:112022/8/19
收件者:brail...@googlegroups.com
I didn't think you could convert Kindle books! I try to read with my orbit through the phone but don't really like doing that, it would be so much nicer just to have them on the sd card. What do I need to do, do I have to pay for Duxbury or would any of the free translation packages convert just as well?

From Linda

This is exactly what I do. I convert all my Kindle purchases and read that way.

--

If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.

---

Original7e6813b1922..html

Jackie Brown

未讀,
2022年8月19日 清晨6:36:122022/8/19
收件者:brail...@googlegroups.com

Hi Linda

I convert all my Kindle books using Codex software and an older version of the Kindle for PC because the latest versions don’t let you do that.  Then I run the converted files through Duxbury which has a really nice template for the Canute 360.  But if you don’t have a Canute or Duxbury, you can use one of the free Braille translation programs to convert your files to BRF format that would let you read them on the Focus fifth gen or Orbit Reader.

Kind regards,

Jackie Brown

Email: jackiean...@gmail.com

Linda Deacon

未讀,
2022年8月19日 清晨7:08:122022/8/19
收件者:brail...@googlegroups.com
I don't imagine you can get that old version of Kindle now though can you? I've only got an orbit, I say only, I'm really grateful to have a braille display at all. But it is a bit annoying when it comes to reading Kindle books. I couldn't read them at all before though because I don't like the touch screen things and the braille display was the first time I ever got access to Kindle in the first place. If I could convert them and read away from the phone, that would be even better.

from Linda

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/vmime.62ff657c.b3c.1a35a87f38c929da%40DESKTOP-BP5DNF0 .

--

If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.

---

Original7e6813c333..html

Scott Davert

未讀,
2022年8月19日 上午8:43:422022/8/19
收件者:brail...@googlegroups.com
The Canute seems like it would be nice, but it's far from cheap. Cheap
relative to how many cells it has and compared to the rest of the
markekt, yes, but with a cost of over 2500, it's not exactly within
easy reach for many who don't have a funding source with deep pockets.
The Orbit Reader 40 and Orbit Reader 20 are the devices that cost the
least amount of money.

Best of luck,
Scott

On 8/19/22, Linda Deacon <lmdea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't imagine you can get that old version of Kindle now though can you?
> I've only got an orbit, I say only, I'm really grateful to have a braille
> display at all. But it is a bit annoying when it comes to reading Kindle
> books. I couldn't read them at all before though because I don't like the
> touch screen things and the braille display was the first time I ever got
> access to Kindle in the first place. If I could convert them and read away
> from the phone, that would be even better.
>
> from Linda

Mary Lea

未讀,
2022年8月19日 上午8:50:172022/8/19
收件者:brail...@googlegroups.com
Thank you - I will loom into the Orbit. Canute seems nice, but expensive!

Just wanted to say you have all been very supportive this difficult year. So, thank you.

Jackie Brown

未讀,
2022年8月19日 上午9:18:022022/8/19
收件者:brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott

Indeed, I wasn't suggesting Canute is cheap, no display is to be fair!

Kind regards,

Jackie Brown
Email: jackiean...@gmail.com

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/CAMpiB%2BbaZryd%3DTu2YCBOd0_LS7bgACB7hghyoCsCkhTNkWrYCQ%40mail.gmail.com.

geo...@techno-vision.co.uk

未讀,
2022年8月19日 上午10:27:242022/8/19
收件者:brail...@googlegroups.com
The Canute retails at £2,050 and if you qualify, there is no additional VAT.

But do the arithmetic and work out the cost per braille cell 😊 (£5.70)

As one user said, "“Good for musicians, maths, programmers, reading and literacy. Reading music Braille is amazing, as is tabular information. I must say, reading several lines of Braille without having to advance to the next line is fantastic. It’s the first time I’ve read a novel in Braille for a long time, as I got sick and tired of having to push next every single blasted line.”.

George W F Bell
Managing Director
Duxbury UK Master Distributor
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd