Students invent innovative Braille reading device

Chris McMillan

Jul 16, 2021, 5:06:35 PM7/16/21
to Braillists Forum

Looks like the three photos haven’t copied across

Students invent innovative Braille reading device

Feng Boyao and Meng Shuqi work on the Braille reading device they invented under the guidance of their teachers. [Photo by Zhang Xiaoli/For chinadaily.com.cn

A large number of Braille contact dots have been set up on the device, which is 50 centimeters long and 10 cm high. It can render Braille content as a cursor moves across a computer screen via a computer application.

"Education for those people with visual disabilities is mainly based on Braille books, but very few Braille books can be found in the marketplace, or they are outdated and cannot meet the needs of the blind," Feng said. "A small number of people have access to Braille reading devices, which may sell for as much as 10,000 yuan ($1,549) or more."

"The cost of our device is much lower, so it will be advantageous for market promotion," he said.

In addition, because of its magnetic structure, the content displayed on the device is said to be more accurate than others.

"We hope our device can help reduce the proportion of blind people who become poor from lack of education," Meng said. "We also hope to contribute our power to China's poverty alleviation strategy."

Page 2 of 3
Meng Shuqi debugs the Braille reading device under the guidance of a teacher. [Photo by Zhang Xiaoli/For chinadaily.com.cn
Page 3 of 3
Feng Boyao adjusts the Braille reading device under the guidance of a teacher. [Photo by Zhang Xiaoli/For chinadaily.com.cn]