Pali braille

Scott Feldman

Jul 29, 2021, 7:07:16 AMJul 29
to brail...@googlegroups.com

Hello. I am a visually impaired Buddhist practitioner who is interested in making Pali (the language of the Buddhist scriptures) accessible in braille. I am looking for other braille readers who would be interested in joining up to develop a Pali braille code.

For English speakers like myself, Pali is represented in print using the standard Latin alphabet with the addition, for certain letters, of diacritical marks like the macron (a line above the letter) and underdots. We would need to make decisions about how to most efficiently represent these characters using the existing braille code. My intention would be to share the resulting code with the Liblouis community so that it can be incorporated into the broader braille code.

I am by no means an expert in any of this and so would be very happy to Connect with others with relevant expertise and/or interest to come up with something that can be used within our community.

My longer-term goal is to create a website with braille files of Pali texts such as the suttas. I would be happy if anyone wanted to participate in that broader vision as well, although my immediate concern is coming up with a suitable code.

If you are interested, please reach out to me by email at scottfel...@gmail.com. Also please feel free to pass this message along to any other groups or individuals who might find it of interest.

Thank you and be well!