Braille display issue with cells, please help

Jasmine Metcalfe

Sep 10, 2022, 10:19:46 AM9/10/22
to brail...@googlegroups.com
I would be really grateful for any advice received.
I recently sent in a braillesense6 to sight and sound because of an issue with the keyboard and because some of the dots in some of the cells weren’t raising properly. They sent it to hims because it was still under warranty. They said hims have said that they replaced all cells.
I received the device back yesterday and I’m having the same issue. It isn’t that the dots aren’t raising, it is just that for some of the cells, some of the dots aren’t raising quite as much as the surrounding pins, some of them more significantly than others, which for example, can make G look almost like an H, or R look like an L. I find it really annoying and slightly disorientating, especially if reading quickly. It almost makes the characters feel wobbly.
The question is, if these are brand new cells, should this still be happening. Is this just something that refreshable braille does? I have to admit I was really surprised that the issue hadn’t been completely fixed.
I asked the engineer at sight and sound why it might still be happening, and he said they hadn’t seen any issues with the cells but that he wasn’t a braille reader. He was also surprised.
Should I send it back to sight and sound again? It isn’t like the device is not usable. I don’t want to make a fuss if this is just expected behaviour, but again, it would surprise me that this would be the case for new cells? The device itself is also only a year old.
Thanks and looking forward to your responses.

Jack Zimmerman

Sep 10, 2022, 11:12:47 AM9/10/22
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hello JASMINE. No Ma'am this is NOT expected behavior! Send that little buddy back in. You are owed and they are trying to do you dairty! I have had trouble with hims myself a few years! Back! They tried to claim I had SPILLED something on the display when I had NOT! In fact they tried doing that to a lot of blind customers! Never mind the reason why. We'd get all off topic! That is just ridiculous! We pay obsceen prices for both service and equipment itself and this is the sort of thing we have got to deal with because it is not at all uncommon! So yeah Raise a little hell! Let me know if you need help with that I'm good at at it! Things like this get to me though! It's as if they wthink we're just to stupid to know when shoddy work is being or has been DONE!! Good luck resolving all that!! of

Jack and BECKY :-)
sent from our iPhingers

> On Sep 10, 2022, at 9:19 AM, Jasmine Metcalfe <jazzmet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I would be really grateful for any advice received.
> --
> If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.
> ---

Jasmine Metcalfe

Sep 10, 2022, 2:39:26 PM9/10/22
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Oh my goodness, they told me I had spilled something on the keyboard, and, Which isn’twhich isn’t something I definitely remember doing, so that is really interesting. Thank you for the reassurance, I was worried I was just being precious or oversensitive or something. Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 10, 2022, at 4:12 PM, Jack Zimmerman <jack...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello JASMINE. No Ma'am this is NOT expected behavior! Send that little buddy back in. You are owed and they are trying to do you dairty! I have had trouble with hims myself a few years! Back! They tried to claim I had SPILLED something on the display when I had NOT! In fact they tried doing that to a lot of blind customers! Never mind the reason why. We'd get all off topic! That is just ridiculous! We pay obsceen prices for both service and equipment itself and this is the sort of thing we have got to deal with because it is not at all uncommon! So yeah Raise a little hell! Let me know if you need help with that I'm good at at it! Things like this get to me though! It's as if they wthink we're just to stupid to know when shoddy work is being or has been DONE!! Good luck resolving all that!! of
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/AD577F25-6ADD-42AB-8EB6-F49F8F0DB383%40gmail.com.

Charles

Sep 10, 2022, 3:18:34 PM9/10/22
to brail...@googlegroups.com
We had worked on the older BrailleSense U2 displays here from Hims, and
at times something from their elastomembrane keyboard layer becomes
oozey and sticky.  It can feel like old adhesive tape or old oxidized
elastic bands even though it is not.  I wonder if the technicians at
Hims are mistaking that breakdown substance for something that they
assume the blind user spilt on the keyboard.  Could be.  Of course, the
customer is at fault, and the company is hardpressed and innocently
innocent.

Charles

Jack Zimmerman

Sep 10, 2022, 5:20:00 PM9/10/22
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Well now! Thanks Charles we learned something new today! That is altogether quite POSSIBLE! Especially if perhaps they did not receive adiquate training in repairing these devices! Kind of moot but interesting none the less!

Jack and BECKY :-)
sent from our iPhingers

> On Sep 10, 2022, at 2:18 PM, Charles <wp...@rogers.com> wrote:
>
> We had worked on the older BrailleSense U2 displays here from Hims, and at times something from their elastomembrane keyboard layer becomes oozey and sticky. It can feel like old adhesive tape or old oxidized elastic bands even though it is not. I wonder if the technicians at Hims are mistaking that breakdown substance for something that they assume the blind user spilt on the keyboard. Could be. Of course, the customer is at fault, and the company is hardpressed and innocently innocent.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/eca1b777-7fff-1ab8-2035-38d12578a7da%40rogers.com.

Jack Zimmerman

Sep 10, 2022, 5:23:41 PM9/10/22
to brail...@googlegroups.com