Old RNIB Bags

tim.p...@btinternet.com

Sep 10, 2021, 11:29:29 AM9/10/21
to brail...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

As some of you will know, I started up a mailing list some time ago which facilitates the re-use of braille books now that these can no longer be returned to the RNIB Braille ‘library’.

It obviously doesn’t make sense to use any more material than is absolutely unavoidable to send these books to their next home, and what we really need is something like a canvas bag which can be re-used countless times for the transport of braille books through the post.  Wait a minute I hear you cry, hasn’t that idea been used before somewhere?  (I do hate sarcasm, but you take my point.)

Anyway, what I was wondering, is whether anyone has informal or formal links with people in the RNIB who can tell us whether all those lovely bags were actually and scandalously destroyed as part of the transition to the new scheme, or if they might be available to be fed into the BrailleBookSwap community.

I haven’t really worked out how this would work yet, but if they do still exist, maybe individual BrailleBookSwappers could mail RNIB and request a few of these containers.

Regards,

Tim Pennick

PS:  If you want to sign up to the BrailleBookSwap list, send a message to

Braillebooks...@groups.io, or if your mail client doesn’t read this to you properly to:

Braille Book Swap plus subscribe at groups dot io

Where the words Plus, At, and Dot are replaced by the appropriate symbols, and the spaces are removed.