web addresses being split strangely over multiple lines using duxbury

Dave Horwood

Mar 21, 2024, 6:32:59 AMMar 21
to brail...@googlegroups.com

Hi folks,

Does anyone have this issue and know how to fix it? In some of the documents we produce, web addresses are being split unevenly in Braille, using Duxbury. Sometimes after the first line of the URL, there might only be a few characters or just a single / on the second line, before the web address continues on the following line(s). This is wasting space to the right of the page. The braille always has the dot 5 line split indicator.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Dave

Dave Horwood, A2i Transcription Services Limited
Unit 4 Montpelier Central, Station Road, Bristol BS6 5EE
01179 44 00 44 dave.h...@a2i.co.uk
www.a2i.co.uk Twitter
Registered in England & Wales No. 5391625. VAT Registration No. 821 9410 46

This email and any attachments to it may contain private and confidential information. If you have received this email by mistake, you should immediately inform the sender and delete the email, and should not copy it or show it to any other person. We have tried to ensure this email does not contain any viruses, but please check this before opening any attachments, as we cannot accept any responsibility for damage caused by a virus. Please note that we may monitor and store emails for the purposes of ensuring compliance with law, our policies and for audit purposes.

geo...@techno-vision.co.uk

Mar 21, 2024, 7:59:34 AMMar 21
to brail...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dave,

Can you send me (off list) one or two examples where this occurs, please?

Best forewarn you that if I hit a brick wall myself, my main Duxbury contact is at the CSUN exhibition in California, where they are around 7-8 hours behind GMT.

All the best,

George W F Bell

Managing Director

Duxbury UK Master Distributor

Techno-Vision Systems Ltd

76 Bunting Road Ind. Est.

NORTHAMPTON, NN2 6EE

United Kingdom.

Tel: +44 (0)160 479 2777

E-Mail: geo...@techno-vision.co.uk

Web: http://www.techno-vision.co.uk

--
If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and forward on any error messages you may have received.
---

image002.jpg

dave.bl...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2024, 7:04:37 PMMar 21
to brail...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dave!

I have seen similar things here, but when I described it, some claimed I dreamed it!

That’s all I’ll say about it.

Cheers,

Dave

Mar 22, 2024, 9:23:32 AMMar 22
to brail...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dave,

I’ve referred this issue to Duxbury, but it may be a few days before it can be addressed.  They’ve been at the CSUN exhibition.

All the best,

George

image001.jpg

Matthew Horspool

Mar 22, 2024, 9:48:44 AMMar 22
to brail...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

This is annoying because I know I have seen it, but am now struggling to reproduce it.

Do you know what version of Duxbury you are using? It’s possible they fixed it fairly recently.

The workaround that works for me is to split the line manually. You will need to use two codes to do this, because the manual line split causes Duxbury to assume that no hyphenation is required.

  • [q~"] inserts a dot 5
  • [l] inserts a line break

To get that [q] code in particular:

  1. At the point at which you want to insert the dot 5, press F5 for the codes list.
  2. Press q to find q.
  3. Press tab to the parameters, and press shift+2 to insert a quote character, which is the computer braille sign for a dot 5.
  4. Press enter to insert the code.

Then immediately afterwards insert the [l] code from the F5 list – no parameters required for that one.

Hope that makes sense,

Matthew

dave.bl...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2024, 5:03:35 AMApr 23
to brail...@googlegroups.com

Hi!

This is probably historic now, but FWIW, I’m using 12.7.

It is still happening and I have tried with several temploates.

Cheers,

Dave

image001.jpg

JAMES BOWDEN

Apr 23, 2024, 1:43:09 PMApr 23
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dave,

I was able to reproduce the problem and I have reported the problem,
with examples, to Duxbury Systems.

I know this isn't a solution, but hopefully a step in the right
direction.

God bless,

James.

Hi! This is probably historic now, but FWIW, I’m using 12.7. It is still
happening and I have tried with several temploates. Cheers,Dave From:
brail...@googlegroups.com <brail...@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of
Matthew Horspool
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2024 2:49 AM
To: 'brail...@googlegroups.com' <brail...@googlegroups.com>
multiple lines using Duxbury

 Hi everyone,This is annoying because I know I have seen it, but am now
struggling to reproduce it.Do you know what version of Duxbury you are
using? It’s possible they fixed it fairly recently.The workaround that
works for me is to split the line manually. You will need to use two
codes to do this, because the manual line split causes Duxbury to assume
that no hyphenation is required.[q~"] inserts a dot 5[l] inserts a line
breakTo get that [q] code in particular:At the point at which you want
to insert the dot 5, press F5 for the codes list.Press q to find q.Press
tab to the parameters, and press shift+2 to insert a quote character,
which is the computer braille sign for a dot 5.Press enter to insert the
code.Then immediately afterwards insert the [l] code from the F5 list –
no parameters required for that one.Hope that makes sense,Matthew From:
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2024 1:23 PM
To: brail...@googlegroups.com

the best, George From: brail...@googlegroups.com
<brail...@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of dave.bl...@gmail.com
Sent: 21 March 2024 23:04
To: brail...@googlegroups.com
multiple lines using duxbury

 Hi Dave! I have seen similar things here, but when I described it, some
claimed I dreamed it! That’s all I’ll say about it. Cheers,Dave From:
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2024 11:33 PM
To: brail...@googlegroups.com
[...]

Groups "Braillists" group.
an email to
unsub...@googlegroups.com">braillists+...@googlegroups.com.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/LO3P123MB31450E9D396B03C87C4057CA8C322%40LO3P123MB3145.GBRP123.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.--
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/02a401da7be4%2422399550%2466acbff0%24%40gmail.com.--
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/01cf01da7c5c%2420aaa260%2461ffe720%24%40techno-vision.co.uk.--
If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum please
email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue and
forward on any error messages you may have received.
---
Groups "Braillists" group.
an email to
unsub...@googlegroups.com">braillists+...@googlegroups.com.
--
If you have any problems posting/replying to the Braillists Forum
please email he...@braillists.org with a clear description of the issue
and forward on any error messages you may have received.
---
an email to
unsub...@googlegroups.com">braillists+...@googlegroups.com.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/braillists/001801da9535%244d124820%24e736d860%24%40gmail.com.

dave.bl...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2024, 6:47:32 PMApr 23
to brail...@googlegroups.com
Hi James!

Glad to know I'm not alone.

Think the problem is the template, but then again I have tried several without making any difference!

Frustrating, but stay in touch.

Cheers,
Dave
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to braillists+...@googlegroups.com.