Fwd: Dispatching a State Synchronization Working Group

Michael Toomim

Oct 25, 2023, 6:10:15 PM10/25/23
to Braid
We have discussed the idea of formalizing the Braid group into an IETF Working Group or Research Group over the past few months.

I just opened the conversation with the IETF! You can follow along here:
Keep in mind that the IETF discussion are open to everyone. There is no "membership", and you are welcome to give your thoughts and opinion in that thread along with everyone else. You can subscribe to the Dispatch list here.

Thanks everyone!

Michael

Oct 25, 2023, 8:41:21 PM10/25/23
to Braid

Separately, our Braid-HTTP protocol is on the agenda for the HTTP Working Group, along with Rahul Gupta's PREP proposal:

https://httpwg.org/wg-materials/ietf118/agenda.html

We will have about 10 minutes to present Braid-HTTP, and make a case for the HTTP Working Group to adopt state synchronization as an extension to standardize into HTTP, plus time for questions & discussion.

Michael

Duane Johnson

Oct 26, 2023, 1:55:37 AM10/26/23
to Michael Toomim, Braid
I know this is just a next step, but it feels big!

Braid has great potential to "improve our ability to improve", as Douglas Engelbart might say.

Congrats on moving this work forward, both technically and socially.

Duane

Michael Toomim

Oct 27, 2023, 5:51:10 PM10/27/23
to Duane Johnson, Braid

Ah, yes Duane! I'm glad you're pointing this out, because I feel it too!

This is one step— but it's a step into a new world of people who care. The IETF is filled with protocol-designers, and many (or most?) of those protocols do some forms of state synchronization. All the work we've done will now be flowing amongst a great number of new minds!

I feel the excitement of establishing a beachhead of connection with this new community. We're starting to engage in dialogue. We can get these ideas into HTTP, and other protocols too!

One small step for man can sometimes be part of a giant leap forward for mankind. :)

Michael