Live preview on Ubuntu Linux

Marcus Clearspring

Dec 15, 2012, 6:15:32 PM12/15/12
to bracke...@googlegroups.com
I managed to build Brackets under Ubuntu 12.04 (wooh!).
Only problem so far is that live preview cannot find chrome. I have chrome open already and the executable name is "chromium-browser".

Brackets seems confused too. It shows a GUI error message, but the console says "Created new window in existing browser session.". The errors should match.

Anyway, how do I tell Brackets where Chrome is?

Marcus

Jonathan Diehl

Dec 16, 2012, 5:00:48 AM12/16/12
to Brackets-Dev on behalf of Marcus Clearspring
I am not sure about the Linux version, but the Windows and Mac versions call the method OpenLiveBrowser() in appshell_extensions_(win|mac).(cpp|mm). The code to figure out the path to Chrome is defined in those files.

- jonathan

morine...@yahoo.fr

Dec 16, 2012, 9:01:14 AM12/16/12
to bracke...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcus,

Could you please publish a how-to install on Ubuntu/Debian ? For people like me, who are not advanced linux users, that would be helpful…

Thanks !

nestor

Marcus Clearspring

Dec 16, 2012, 4:15:32 PM12/16/12
to bracke...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 3:01:14 PM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:

Could you please publish a how-to install on Ubuntu/Debian ? For people like me, who are not advanced linux users, that would be helpful…

The Brackets packages for Linux are all at https://github.com/pritambaral/brackets-shell/downloads

Two additional things you may need to know. The GTK-2.0 dev libraries package is called libgtk2.0-dev. Likewise for glib, the name is libglib2.0-dev. If you haven't built GTK apps from source you may not know this.

If other libraries are missing, open a terminal, type "lib" plus the package name you are looking for, then press tab. I typed libgtk, then tab, which gave me a long list of suggestions. I knew it was ...-dev.

Finally, you also need the latest sprint package e.g. brackets-sprint-16.tar.bz2
Unpack that to the same directory as the Brackets executable. The index.html file in the www/ folder is the one Brackets will prompt you for on first launch. This info is currently missing from the Wiki.

HTH,

Marcus

morine...@yahoo.fr

Dec 17, 2012, 10:48:36 AM12/17/12
to bracke...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for your answer, Marcus.

It's a bit complicated for me, but I will try… :-)

Ryan Stewart

Dec 17, 2012, 12:54:37 PM12/17/12
to Brackets-Dev on behalf of Marcus Clearspring
Thanks for all this Markus.

What do people think about adding a section to the wiki on Linux? It seems like we've generally got a working Linux version of Brackets but that it just takes a little bit of effort to set up. Does capturing this on the wiki with pointers to the various resources make sense to everyone?

=Ryan

Randall Edmunds

Dec 17, 2012, 2:16:00 PM12/17/12
to bracke...@googlegroups.com
Ryan,

> What do people think about adding a section to the wiki on Linux?

I think that's a great idea. Maybe a main page for Linux and sub pages for any particular flavors that have different requirements.

Thanks,
Randy

Ryan Stewart

Dec 18, 2012, 5:08:13 AM12/18/12
to Brackets-Dev on behalf of Randall Edmunds
Great. I just sent Pritam a message about using his Linux instructions as the base for the new wiki page. Once I hear back hopefully you guys can all help fill in details for various distributions.

Thanks,

=Ryan

Wordit

Dec 18, 2012, 3:18:04 PM12/18/12
to Brackets-Dev
To answer my own question, here's how you get Live Preview working under Linux, courtesy of Pritam. The problem is that the Chrome executables have different names under various Linux distros.

The solution is to symlink the Chrome executable on your system to what Brackets expects, being "google-chrome". On Ubuntu, the executable is called chromium-browser.

Here's the command for Ubuntu. You will need to execute the command as root in most cases, hence sudo on Ubuntu. Adapt to your distro as needed:

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/chromium-browser /usr/bin/google-chrome

That should be the last step to getting all Brackets features working on Linux.

Marcus

halton huo

Jun 7, 2013, 11:24:07 PM6/7/13
to bracke...@googlegroups.com
This workaround is not needed anymore with latest google chrome linux build. I tested google chrome
28.0.1500.11.

$ ls -l /usr/bin/google-chrome
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 May 13 08:41 /usr/bin/google-chrome -> /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome

Daniel Seymour

Jun 13, 2013, 11:45:56 PM6/13/13
to bracke...@googlegroups.com
Just to clear this up, Chrome is Google's licensed version of the Chromium project.  Chrome is essentially the Chromium browser with a Google license and an automatic updater.  If you are running CHROMIUM, you will need to use the workaround.  If you are using Chrome (which I believe can only be downloaded from the Google website), you DON'T need the workaround.  I will update the wiki with this information.

yahya Kacem

Jun 14, 2013, 10:18:32 AM6/14/13
to bracke...@googlegroups.com
Hi, isn't using this script from this post to install on Ubuntu is easier.

yahya Kacem

Jun 14, 2013, 10:28:53 AM6/14/13
to bracke...@googlegroups.com
Live preview still not working for me.
the chrome executable is called google-chrome, the error I get is:

      Error starting up the HTTP server for live development files. Please try again.

Any idea why?

On Sunday, 16 December 2012 00:15:32 UTC+1, Marcus Clearspring wrote:
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Eric White

Jul 11, 2020, 5:48:19 PM7/11/20
to Brackets-Dev
check out video

i did have this problem  when i first use BRACKETS 1.13 ...
was running on UBUNTU 18.04 and i had Firefox as my default ....
it worked

BUT when i upgraded to 1.14.1 Brackets from the Brackets.io ...
i had same problems but i could not get it working right

until i downgraded to 1.14 Brackets it works now ......
i also have Chromium and Opera working also but
i have to copy Live Preview URL and paste into them
and after that all of them work right ...

BUT when i run Brackes from Terminal

Screenshot from 2020-07-11 13-16-19.png

it has some problems but does not stop Brackets running
but i do not understand if we need to fix it ...

BUT i now have a problem that the internal XML section in the HTML do not show up in Live Preview ....

any suggestions .....