get message 'Error Reading Preferences' why?

dan hayes

Jan 30, 2021, 4:41:42 AMJan 30
to Brackets-Dev
anyway in addition it reads " your file is not valid JSON . The file will be opened so that you can correct the format......"

 anyway i check OK but no file is opened. Here is the file brackets.json
which i assume is the only relevant item ? or not ? anyway is there any reason to get any error regarding this file as follows.

{
    "brackets-eslint.gutterMarks": true,
    "brackets-eslint.useLocalESLint": false,
    "fonts.fontSize": "20px",
    "wordWrap": false,
    "useTabChar": true,
    "tabSize": 4,
    "quickview.enabled": false,
    "closeBrackets": false
    :highlight MatchParen ctermfg=yellow ctermbg=red cterm=BOLD
}

there are also line numbers to the left not shown here. Also i want my text file to open as text NOT perl which always seems to be the case as shown in the next to last of the 4 items on the right bottom where it lists: INS     UTF-8       Perl      Spaces 4
Instead of Perl i want it to automatically select ' text ' without me having to manually
change it everytime.

Peter Flynn

Feb 2, 2021, 12:35:52 PMFeb 2
to Brackets-Dev
Delete the line that says ":highlight MatchParen ctermfg=yellow ctermbg=red cterm=BOLD" -- that is not valid JSON and makes the whole settings file unreadable.

> Also i want my text file to open as text NOT perl
After you switch the status bar to say "Text," open the dropdown again and select "Set as Default" at the top of the menu.  This will probably only work after you've corrected the JSON error though.

- Peter

dan hayes

Feb 2, 2021, 10:24:53 PMFeb 2
to Brackets-Dev
deleting that line ...MatchParen... Then I would not have one of the most important options i want which is showing matching parenthesis and brackets and have control over colors ,emphasis etc. to make them most noticable . According to what i have read elsewhere that line was valid and even states atleast the ctermfg=yellow ctermbg=red cterm=BOLD  part is valid