Ashburton black-billed gull update

Frances Schmechel

Nov 4, 2010, 11:12:17 PM11/4/10
to BR-...@googlegroups.com

Some news about a large colony nesting on the Ashburton River at the link below.
Fantastic photo as well.
Black-billed gull - www.ashburtononline.co.nz
Thousands of black-billed gulls are nesting just below the State Highway One ... Because of this serious decline the black billed gull regarded as being ...
www.ashburtononline.co.nz/site/local.../black-billed-gull.html

Frances Schmechel

Acting Team Leader Biodiversity Programme

Environment Canterbury

58 Kilmore Street: P O Box 345, A2

Christchurch

Phone +64 3 372 7060

Email: frances....@ecan.govt.nz

Website: www.ecan.govt.nz

the sender of the message.

www.ecan.govt.nz

John Dowding

Nov 10, 2010, 4:10:31 PM11/10/10
to BR-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

A slightly worrying visit to the upper Rakaia yesterday. Keith Woodley and I went to Kowhai Flat and spent about an hour and a half walking around in the riverbed. I was showing Keith the area where Rod Hay did his PhD work in the 70s and where I had also monitored wrybill breeding success during the 1999-00 season.

We searched about 2 km of the riverbed on the true right of the main channel upstream of the campground. The place was deathly quiet. We found 2 pairs of wrybills, and both were foraging quietly, with no sign of nests or chicks.. In the same area 10 years ago, I was monitoring about 7-8 pairs. What was more alarming was the virtual absence of any of the other usual riverbed shorebirds. We saw no banded dotterels, no SIPO, no pied stilts, and no black-fronted terns. There were 3 black-billed gulls seen flying downstream.

Obviously we don’t know whether a larger area of the river is in the same state, but perhaps the upper Rakaia is now a priority for a survey. Past data suggest it’s a major stronghold for wrybills, but that may need to be checked. I couldn’t help wondering whether there had been a stoat irruption in the area – it’s hard to think of anything else that could have such an apparently dramatic effect. A line of tracking tunnels would tell us that. I guess a first step is to check a few other small areas and see if there’s a pattern.

John Dowding