PSK31 Specification - Text to Varicode Conversion and Back

Lloyd Rochester

Jan 5, 2021, 2:17:22 PM1/5/21
to bpsk31.com Discussion list
Hello All!

One thing that is unclear to me on the Alphabet is how PSK31 transmits and receives. Let's say I transmit "tt" which is 101101. The receiver would see 101101 and decode this as "d" and not "tt". Does the transmitter take a rest for a symbol or how is this handled? I originally thought the receiver would greedily try to match the Varicode; but don't see how that is possible with what I wrote above.

Referring to the Alphabet on https://bpsk31.com/about/

Thanks!

Lloyd

Jacob Gillespie

Jan 24, 2021, 11:08:25 AM1/24/21
to bps...@googlegroups.com
Hey!

It's not mentioned on the bpsk31.com/about page, but each character is separated by a transmission of two or more 0's. So sending "tt" would actually be transmitted as 10100101 or even 10100000101. In that way, the receiver is able to separate the letters without needing to greedily match or rely on any other algorithm (since no character code contains two consecutive 0's).

Jacob

http://bpsk31.com

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/bpsk31?hl=en?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "bpsk31.com Discussion list" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bpsk31/b6c2ae10-ae7c-40aa-b574-2a07d5a62d62n%40googlegroups.com.

Jim Frazier

Jan 24, 2021, 12:01:37 PM1/24/21
to bps...@googlegroups.com, Jacob Gillespie