Setting PSK transmit frequency

Andy Gilbert-son

Mar 6, 2017, 12:29:45 PM3/6/17
to bpsk31.com Discussion list
Can anyone explain please how when I set my transceiver to one of the Psk frequencies e.g. 14.070 and in digipan I set the cursor to 14.071 say, that my transmission goes out on 14.071 and not 14.070. I'm sure there is a simple explanation but it eludes me. Many thanks.

ken richards

Mar 6, 2017, 10:52:10 PM3/6/17
to bps...@googlegroups.com
Set your receiver to frequency with the waterfall system of tuning.

Jacob Gillespie

Mar 6, 2017, 11:44:45 PM3/6/17
to bps...@googlegroups.com
This is most likely incorrect in small ways, but it's the mental model I use to make sense of what you're describing:

The frequency on your transceiver is like the "base" frequency, and it's a point with no "width".  When a PSK31 signal is sent, it has a certain small width.  Digipan shows you a wide frequency range, starting on the base frequency and sweeping up.  Then as you raise or lower the pitch of the audio tone (changing the cursor in digipan) it moves that signal up or down in frequency, since the actual frequency (pitch) of the PSK31 signal is increasing or decreasing.

In summary, I see the transceiver frequency as the base point, but you're actually listening to a small range of frequencies.  The pitch of the PSK31 tone determines the small shifts in "radio" frequency.

Does that help?

Jacob

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 11:29 AM, Andy Gilbert-son <andrewfg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can anyone explain please how when I set my transceiver to one of the Psk frequencies e.g. 14.070 and in digipan I set the cursor to 14.071 say, that my transmission goes out on 14.071 and not 14.070. I'm sure there is a simple explanation but it eludes me. Many thanks.

http://bpsk31.com

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/bpsk31?hl=en?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "bpsk31.com Discussion list" group.

Gary

Mar 7, 2017, 6:39:50 AM3/7/17
to bps...@googlegroups.com

Sounds very similar to using the clarifier on SSB.

Gary

KB8TSO

jimfra...@comcast.net

Mar 7, 2017, 12:00:18 PM3/7/17
to GROUP, BPSK31
That is a pretty good explanation below.  To embellish it a little more,  when you select 14.071 MHz the Digipan command is causing the sound card to phase shift the 1000 Hz tone, and that BPSK31 modulated 1 KHz tone then modulates the "base frequency", 14.070 MHz; such that, the actual signal that is being transmitted is 14.070 MHz + 1 KHz = 14.071 MHz.

KC5RUO