Re: [MontanaCycling] Sad news - Don Russell's passing

John Weyhrich

Aug 22, 2018, 1:55:10 PM8/22/18
to montana...@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Proctor, Bill Cochran, Tamara Bessette, Sheli Thomas, Timothy Bechtold, Steve Dolberg, Al Pendergrass, John Coulthard, Jason Delmue, Jeff Crouch, David Peck, Jed Dennison, Jane O'Driscoll, Rose Grant, Byron Deford, Shaun Radley, Scott Urban, Alex Gallego, de...@logwerx.com, fredm...@yahoo.com, Michael Longmire, mvanga...@yahoo.com, ts...@yahoogroups.com, Bozeman Road Racers, bozeman-m...@googlegroups.com, Bozeman Cyclocross Racers
Yes...very sad news.  Don was instrumental in nurturing the Montana Bicycle Racing Association during its formative years and, as others have alluded, he definitely helped "raise the bar" of the level of bike racing in the state.

Insistent when necessary, occasionally quirky (in a very good way!), and always caring, I can honestly attest that Don sincerely and always had officials' and racers' best interests/safety at the forefront of his mind.

Known by most as Montana's primary race official and coordinator, Don was also a certified coach who offered riders across the state access to the latest training techniques and methods.  Additionally, Don was an event promoter, and he took pure joy from bringing racers new and interesting cycling challenges.  Just yesterday, I pulled on the pair of socks given away at the four-event "Festival of the Time Trial" which Don and wife Vicky once held in their adopted town of Philipsburg.

It was an honor to have worked alongside him, and to have shared ideas and visions with Don -- he will be missed.

John Weyhrich
President (former) and Founder - Montana Bicycle Racing Association

Aug 22, 2018, 2:16:28 PM8/22/18
to montana...@yahoogroups.com, John Weyhrich, Geoff Proctor, Bill Cochran, Tamara Bessette, Sheli Thomas, Timothy Bechtold, Steve Dolberg, Al Pendergrass, John Coulthard, Jason Delmue, Jeff Crouch, David Peck, Jed Dennison, Jane O'Driscoll, Rose Grant, Byron Deford, Shaun Radley, Scott Urban, Alex Gallego, de...@logwerx.com, fredm...@yahoo.com, Michael Longmire, mvanga...@yahoo.com, ts...@yahoogroups.com, Bozeman Road Racers, bozeman-m...@googlegroups.com, Bozeman Cyclocross Racers
My deepest condolences to Vicky and all of Don's family. It is indeed an understatement to say that Don was instrumental in the development of bicycle racing in Montana.

I took rider clinics from Don as a novice rider, officials clinics from him in later years, and took advantage of his coaching expertise along the way. Without a doubt, many fellow Montana riders have been similarly influenced by Don's involvement in cycling.

His heart was indeed always in the right place, giving his time and sharing his experience with the community.

He will be missed.

Alex Lussier

Vice president, Gallatin Valley Bicycle Club
Co-founder, GAS/Intrinsik Cycling Team

Aug 22, 2018, 2:51:38 PM8/22/18
to John Weyhrich, montana...@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Proctor, Bill Cochran, Tamara Bessette, Sheli Thomas, Timothy Bechtold, Steve Dolberg, Al Pendergrass, John Coulthard, Jason Delmue, Jeff Crouch, David Peck, Jed Dennison, Jane O'Driscoll, Rose Grant, Byron Deford, Shaun Radley, Scott Urban, Alex Gallego, de...@logwerx.com, fredm...@yahoo.com, Michael Longmire, mvanga...@yahoo.com, ts...@yahoogroups.com, Bozeman Road Racers, bozeman-m...@googlegroups.com, Bozeman Cyclocross Racers

Yes, John I still have a pair of those socks.  I’m gonna wear them today for sure

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Donald M. Russell - View Obituary & Service In formation

Share Memories and Support the Family.

__._,_.___

Posted by: John Weyhrich <john_w...@yahoo.com>

Messages in this topic (8)

Check out the automatic photo album with 1 photo(s) from this topic.
0001_RobertsonTom_120714-1574.jpeg

https://s.yimg.com/ru/static/images/yg/img/megaphone/1464031581_phpFA8bON

Community email addresses:
  Post message: Montana...@yahoogroups.com
  Subscribe:    MontanaCycli...@yahoogroups.com

Shortcut URL to this page:

http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=#26/D=yahoo/S=:LC1/A=1234567/rand=810194795

http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=#26/D=yahoo/S=:LC2/A=1234567/rand=668787407

http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=#26/D=yahoo/S=:LC3/A=1234567/rand=300589143

.

http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=412934/grpspId=1705067439/msgId=4447/stime=1534960509/nc1=1234567/nc2=2/nc3=3
http://y.analytics.yahoo.com/fpc.pl?ywarid=515FB27823A7407E&a=10001310322279&js=no&resp=img&cf9=PHOTOMATIC&cf12=CP

__,_._,___

sheli thomas

Aug 22, 2018, 3:43:46 PM8/22/18
to Eric Greenberg, Al Pendergrass, Alex Gallego, Bill Cochran, Bozeman Cyclocross Racers, Bozeman Road Racers, Byron Deford, David Peck, Geoff Proctor, Jane O'Driscoll, Jason Delmue, Jed Dennison, Jeff Crouch, John Coulthard, John Weyhrich, Michael Longmire, Rose Grant, Scott Urban, Shaun Radley, Steve Dolberg, Tamara Bessette, Timothy Bechtold, bozeman-m...@googlegroups.com, de...@logwerx.com, fredm...@yahoo.com, montana...@yahoogroups.com, mvanga...@yahoo.com, ts...@yahoogroups.com
I’m in shock ...just heard, or I’d be in Phillipsberg with Vickie for the memorial .  Don was my mentor and good friend for ten years....so very sad...😔

David Peck

Aug 22, 2018, 6:02:54 PM8/22/18
to Eric Greenberg, sheli thomas, Al Pendergrass, Alex Gallego, Bill Cochran, Bozeman Cyclocross Racers, Bozeman Road Racers, Byron Deford, Geoff Proctor, Jane O'Driscoll, Jason Delmue, Jed Dennison, Jeff Crouch, John Coulthard, John Weyhrich, Michael Longmire, Rose Grant, Scott Urban, Shaun Radley, Steve Dolberg, Tamara Bessette, Timothy Bechtold, bozeman-m...@googlegroups.com, de...@logwerx.com, fredm...@yahoo.com, montana...@yahoogroups.com, mvanga...@yahoo.com, ts...@yahoogroups.com
I'm sick about this news. Although I didn't know Don well, he was very helpful and encouraging to me during the time I managed the MORS series.
Prayers for his family,
David Peck

Aug 28, 2018, 6:39:15 PM8/28/18
to Proctor, Jeff, David Peck, Kari Greenberg, Sheli Thomas, Al Pendergrass, Alex Gallego, Bill Cochran, bozeman-cycl...@googlegroups.com, bozeman-r...@googlegroups.com, Byron Deford, Jane O'Driscoll, Jason Delmue, Jed, missou...@gmail.com, Coulthard, John (OPD), John Weyhrich, schwa...@hotmail.com, Rose Grant, scott urban, Shaun Radley, Steve Dolberg, Tamara Bessette, Timothy Bechtold, bozeman-m...@googlegroups.com, Dean Hatch, fredm...@yahoo.com, Montana Cycling, mvanga...@yahoo.com, Team Stampede
Hi, this is Cole, Don's son. First I want to say thank you for all the kind responses on here about my dad. He was truly loved by the cycling community and he was so proud to be a part of it. We have loved seeing the pics you have all posted on here as well. If any of you have other pictures that you don't mind sharing could you please email them to me at coleun...@gmail.com.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 10:31 AM Geoff Proctor CrossS...@aol.com [MontanaCycling] <MontanaCycl...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[Attachment(s) from Geoff Proctor included below]

Attachment(s) from Geoff Proctor | View attachments on the web

1 of 1 Photo(s)

Posted by: Geoff Proctor <crosss...@aol.com>
Messages in this topic (14)

Check out the automatic photo album with 3 photo(s) from this topic.
0001_RobertsonTom_120714-1574.jpeg 2012 cx 1003216_543467882385774_213891186_n.jpg 100_7459.jpg