Re: Re: [box-art] Boxart Den bad?

Charles 1 Model

Oct 11, 2020, 9:39:32 PM10/11/20
to box...@googlegroups.com
Excellent rebuttal, I think you nailed them on the over bloated head. Charlie.

--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 10/11/20, 5:44 PM JR <jrl...@thepostalzone.com> wrote:
Jean and everyone:

First, about the Facebook snub:

It's simple: Facebook is under attack from all sides right now -- and has screwed up royally over the past year with gaff after gaff -- so their lawyers are now pushing to purge any semblance of "impropriety" from Facebook (good luck with that, guys). Technically, you did ask -- in public -- for someone to scan possibly copyrighted material (although the copyright on most vintage boxart has long expired) and to send it to you amounts to "soliciting illegal behavior using Facebook as a conduit".

It's all politically-correct bullshit, but I'm sure it is technically a violation of the Facebook Terms of Service. That's the kind the world we live in these days.

Second and MOST IMPORTANT:

When it comes to "copyright infringement" there is a clause in International Copyright Law that refers to "Fair Use" -- and it is the reason that libraries can even exist. Think about: A library purchases only *one* copy of a book... or DVD... and then turns around and lends that copyrighted material out to hundreds of people for *free*! Nobody ever complained about that before, did they? Of if they did, they haven't managed to get the libraries closed down (yet).

Our BoxArtDen.com website functions under the same "Fair Use" law -- we do NOT have "subscribers" -- paid or otherwise -- as Jay Miller seems to think. We do not make a single penny off of the Gallery.  We do this for fun, folks. For free. Anyone in the world can view the images in our Gallery at no charge at any time. We don't even require a "library card" in the form of requiring people to register and log-in before they can look!

The BoxArtDen Gallery was created as a public-service operation catering to the specialty interests of model makers and those who appreciate the boxtop art work created over the past 70 years. We are *preserving* that artwork -- just as we are *preserving* Jay Miller's very excellent articles so that they are not lost in the rush to abandon printed matter for digital screens.

And we don't charge one penny for it -- you only "violate copyright" when you take someone else's work and try to make money from it. The courts have ruled very clearly on specific point many times.

THIRD and EVEN MORE IMPORTANT to Jay and anyone else:

As a matter of simple courtesy and goodwill it is the policy of the BoxArtDen Gallery to immediately remove anything from the Gallery as soon as possible if the copyright holder of an image formally requests that we do so.

As soon as I saw Jay's request that is exactly what I did.

Since as far as I know, this superb, incredibly well-done and detailed 160-page article/book on the B-38 Hustler which Jay created back in 1997 has not been reprinted since 2001 -- we thought he would like his efforts to be preserved into the future for all the world to see, read and appreciate. Apparently not. But there is no need to speak of legal action. If anyone who owns the rights to any image in our Gallery wants it removed all they have to do is ask and we will always oblige.

Th...Th... This is all for fun, folks!

-- J.R.

On 10/10/20 11:22 AM, Jean Aker wrote:
Did you know that requesting rare boxart scans is bad?
The Den was removed from a FB group for asking if a scan could be made of a boxart not in the archive.
I not aware that asking for scans was bullying?
You live and learn.

Jean

--
WHEN USING AN EMAIL PROGRAM to reply to this message click REPLY TO LIST or REPLY TO ALL so that your reply will go out to all members of the group. If you click the standard REPLY button your comment will *only* be sent to the original author and will *not* be seen by any other members of the group (not recommended).

To post a NEW MESSAGE to the group, send an new email to:
box...@googlegroups.com

To view or sign in to this group on the web, use this URL:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/box-art

Boxart Den Image Gallery: https://www.boxartden.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Box Art Den" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/box-art/affb38be-763c-9938-1751-e49395ae9d48%40thepostalzone.com.