How will the discussions work?

Amelia

Aug 16, 2009, 4:35:23 PM8/16/09
to Bowles Reading Group
Hello there!

I'm excited to join this group; also somewhat apprehensive, as I've no
prior knowledge of economics to draw on. I'm reading the prologue now
and, while I get the gist of it so far, the constrast with how
economics is usually taught is totally lost on me.

So be it, though. I'll either catch up, or watch in awed fascination
as the rest of you eloquently discuss things I've only barely got my
head around.

Are there any ideas how and when we're going to start the discussions?
If tomorrow is the deadline for reading the prologue, do we discuss
that part of the book the week starting tomorrow (while we're reading
chapter 1)? Or are we discussing as we read? Or will there be an
Official Discussion Day every week?

What I think would work for me - but I'm open to any other way of
doing this - is to discuss a chapter the week of the Monday deadline
for reading it (while I'm reading the next chapter) as this gives me
some time to get my head around difficult concepts and not feel left
behind in the discussions. However, I might personally need to ask
some (really dumb) questions while I am reading a chapter.

That said, what would also be nice is if a couple of topics for
discussion could be thrown in at the start of the reading week, so
that while I'm reading I'm thinking about what I could contribute.

So basically: start of the reading week, starter topic(s) for
discussion announced (by someone nice who takes on this duty). During
reading week, discussion to help clarify stuff for anyone who needs
help with something. Week of Monday deadline, discussion of chapter,
including but in no way limited to starter topic(s).

Mind you, that does sound rather regimented. If the rest of you are
for a more laid-back approach, I'm happy with that too.

Looking forward to it!

Amelia