Welcome to the Bowles reading group

Aaron Swartz

Aug 13, 2009, 10:34:15 AM8/13/09
to Bowles Reading Group
Hi, everyone! I'm blown away to see so many people joining -- 21 at
last count. I guess the next question is when to get started. How do
people feel about a Monday deadline for getting the book, and reading
the Preface and Prologue (around 20 pages)? The chapters each seem to
be around 30 pages, so maybe we can proceed weekly from there? (For
comparison, Infinite Summer seems to be assigning 75 pages a week --
half during the week and half on the weekend.)

I'd suggest that for discussions about the book itself, people preface
the subject line with the chapter their talking about, like "Preface:
Conversations with imaginary people?" or "Ch. 1: Oh, no! Not the
calculus!" and so on.

Any other thoughts/suggestions/objections?

Chris Mealy

Aug 13, 2009, 1:54:47 PM8/13/09
to bowl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everybody!

The subject line convention is a good idea. Let's do that.

I wouldn't mind if people posted as they went along as they read.
Frequent posts will keep the party going. Also, I'm planning on being
the dumbest member of this group, so don't nobody feel insecure.

It might be handy to quote screenshots from the book (I'm using
Skitch). Let's see:

Bowles - Microeconomics - Behavior, Institutions, and Evolution.pdf (page 43 of 599)-1.png
Bowles - Microeconomics - Behavior, Institutions, and Evolution.pdf (page 81 of 599).png

Chris Mealy

Aug 13, 2009, 1:59:29 PM8/13/09
to Bowles Reading Group
That doesn't look great on the google groups site. Rats.

Quinn Norton

Aug 13, 2009, 4:36:45 PM8/13/09
to bowl...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 13, 2009, at 1:54 PM, Chris Mealy wrote:

> Hello Everybody!
>
> The subject line convention is a good idea. Let's do that.

And when I blow it please forgive me.

> I wouldn't mind if people posted as they went along as they read.
> Frequent posts will keep the party going. Also, I'm planning on
> being the dumbest member of this group

I will so limp wrist arm wrestle you for that title.

Quinn Norton

Aug 13, 2009, 4:36:55 PM8/13/09
to bowl...@googlegroups.com

It's might be short notice for people to get the book, so I'm
attaching the Preface and Prologue as a ghetto-fabulous plain text
doc. It omits a chart, but it's in the pdf if you like things
faaaancier.

Also I am probably going to try and build my very first Stephen
Hawking Presents audio book version, so I can 'read' along via my
ipod. Would anyone be interested in me posting those? Yes, it will be
terrible, and sans charts and math. Give poor Stephen a break.

Freelance Journalist & Photographer

quinnnorton.com || +1 408 813 8064 || aim, skype, msn: ambiguousquinn

preface-prologue.txt

Garret Thompson

Aug 17, 2009, 11:05:29 PM8/17/09
to Bowles Reading Group
On Aug 13, 4:36 pm, Quinn Norton <qu...@quinnnorton.com> wrote:

> Also I am probably going to try and build my very first Stephen
> Hawking Presents audio book version, so I can 'read' along via my
> ipod. Would anyone be interested in me posting those? Yes, it will be
> terrible, and sans charts and math. Give poor Stephen a break.

Please, post them if you can. An audio version would be wonderful. I
was disappointed that the Brief History audiobook wasn't narrated by
the author. Microeconomics should almost make up for it.

Quinn Norton

Aug 19, 2009, 3:18:56 AM8/19/09
to bowl...@googlegroups.com

what I have so far: preface, prologue, then part one of chapter one. I
am still working on how much I can practically clean them up. P & P
have the footnotes integrated where they were, which means sometimes
mid sentence. chap one has all of them at the end. tables and formulas
are general dropped out, though I might try to makes some reference to
where to look in the book to find them.

Quinn

Chapter 1 Part 1.mp3
Preface related subjects.mp3

Quinn Norton

Aug 19, 2009, 5:21:25 AM8/19/09
to bowl...@googlegroups.com

> <Chapter 1 Part 1.mp3><Preface related subjects.mp3>

wow did that ever not work.

so how do I upload a file or two?