Boulder trivia ~1973-76 question: name of bar

PBridge130

Jul 16, 2002, 11:19:56 AM7/16/02
>From: spod...@aol.com (Spode5101)

>Pbridge:
>>What was the name of "Mother's" Cafe on the hill before it was Mother's?
>>

>The PizzaHut was located there in the 60's.

That I did not know. I had in mind "Magnolia's Thunderpussy" -- greasy spoon
breakfast place in the '60's, where Mother's Cafe subsequently was located.
No, I did not make that name up, and no, it's not a reference to some obscure
Bond character.

"Mom", the owner of Mother's, was Rosco -- David Roscover -- well known
Nederland horticulturalist, who specialized in a plant with no seeds, if you
follow me.

PBridge130

Jul 16, 2002, 11:21:40 AM7/16/02
More:

Name three locations occupied by The High Wheeler Bicycle Shop.

Bonus points for the names of any of the owners.

Spode5101

Jul 16, 2002, 11:48:47 AM7/16/02
Pbridge:

>>From: spod...@aol.com (Spode5101)
>
>>Pbridge:
>>>What was the name of "Mother's" Cafe on the hill before it was Mother's?
>>>

>>The PizzaHut was located there in the 60's.
>
>That I did not know. I had in mind "Magnolia's Thunderpussy" -- greasy spoon
>breakfast place in the '60's, where Mother's Cafe subsequently was located.
>No, I did not make that name up, and no, it's not a reference to some obscure
>Bond character.

You're right. The PizzaHut was located in the corner of the L and Magnolia's
was next door between the PH and Doozy Duds. I don't even remember clearly when
Mother's became Mother's...I do remember working briefly with one of the cooks,
Russ, in the late 70's or early 80's.

mwste...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2014, 10:11:38 PM6/28/14
On Monday, July 8, 2002 6:13:28 PM UTC-5, Dennis Shea wrote:
> A friend asked me if I remembered the name of the bar
> in the then Boulder Sheraton Hotel (now, Broker Inn).
> It offered live music and the time frame was approximately
> 1973-76 or so.
>
> I can't remember and, alas, my friend has become obsessed
> with this burning question. He told me he can't sleep at night :-)
>
> THX

Does anyone know what happened to or where Mothers Cafe was? I think the owners name was Roscoe?

ellicottvi...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2015, 6:04:50 PM2/10/15
Bart's owner was Bob Manion (sp?). He was also the assistant manager under Tom Cain of the Lamp Post. I worked at the Lamp Post from June of '61 to September of '66.

Dennis Shea

Jul 8, 2002, 7:02:53 PM7/8/02

pt

Jul 13, 2002, 10:04:23 AM7/13/02
In article <3D2A1A1C...@ucar.edu>, "Dennis Shea" <sh...@ucar.edu>
wrote:

Anthony's Gardens?

And now for the bonus round .... More Boulder Trivia:

Before it was a (now closed) restuarunt, "The Good Earth"
was a what, and where was it?
What was the Irish pub/live music bar down at the west end of Pearl?
Where was the Timber Tavern?
When did the "the Tule" open?

- KarmaKop

Jul 13, 2002, 1:37:25 PM7/13/02

"pt" <mnemotronic@mindspring/*nospam*\.com> wrote in message

Where was the Broken Drum?
What business is now located where the Bank Saloon originated?
What mandatory piece of man-made clothing were women
required to wear at FAC?
Fred Shelton played what instrument?
The founder of Alfalfa's market made millions of $$ selling what
in the 70's?
What was the standard "tip" for the waitstaff at the Red Lion Inn
when dining on the Patio in the late 70's?

Everett M. Greene

Jul 14, 2002, 12:33:17 PM7/14/02

South side of Arapaho, just west 24th, next to the Phillips
66 filling station.

> When did the "the Tule" open?

Sometime prior to 1958 and after WWII.

And another trivia item: The motel that was located on the
west side of 28th at what is now Canyon Blvd now runs was moved
to where?

Herb

Jul 14, 2002, 1:06:15 PM7/14/02
Who remembers the Lamp Post. How about the Broken Drum.

--

Herb
Boulder, CO

PBridge130

Jul 15, 2002, 1:22:11 AM7/15/02
>Who remembers the Lamp Post. How about the Broken Drum.

" " " Cows grazing in open fields between Folsom and the newly built Crossroads
Mall?

DCallier

Jul 15, 2002, 12:56:58 PM7/15/02
KarmaKop asks:

>Where was the Broken Drum?

15th and Pearl, across the street from the Boulder Army Store (and for a while
Jody's Sweat Shop, a source of entertainment for the Drum regulars). For bonus
points, what cafe was right next to the Drum(actually had a connecting door in
the rear)? For even more points, where was the Drum II located and what
offshoot was a popular working person's bar until it was closed to make way for
a sub shop?

>What business is now located where the Bank Saloon originated?

I'm gapping, but the shoppette on 28th where the Bank originated now houses one
of the Dot's Diners. I can't picture what is in the corner of the el that the
Bank occupied. Don's Cheese and Sausage was there for a time in the spot the
Dot's occupies. For bonus points where was Don's before?

>What mandatory piece of man-made clothing were women
>required to wear at FAC?

Dunno...a bra maybe?

>Fred Shelton played what instrument?

Guitar

>The founder of Alfalfa's market made millions of $$ selling what
>in the 70's?

Dunno, granola and sptouts?

>What was the standard "tip" for the waitstaff at the Red Lion Inn
>when dining on the Patio in the late 70's?

Tootski!

DCallier

Jul 15, 2002, 1:21:50 PM7/15/02
Herb asks:

>Who remembers the Lamp Post. How about the Broken Drum.

The Lamp Post in the 2500 block of Araphoe was one of two establishments in
Boulder that could serve liquor until the town went wet in '67(?). I had my
first "legal" cocktail there. Tom Cain, the long time Lamp Post owner/manager
just recently died. He'd moved "out east" to Louisville to help manage Bart's
along with another longtime Boulder restauranteur of Roman Arches fame. Bonus
points for his name. A regular Bart's entertainer ...Fred Shelton. Do you
remember Fre'ds on Pearl, even before the Mall? What was the name of the
Chinese restaurant on Pearl operated by George Shoya?

And who can forget the Drum at 15th and Pearl...I sure can't. A parade of zany
regulars included: Byron "Eggs" Anfield; Bob Gamble; Emmet McDonald; Martin,
Artie, Pete and Sunny Samora; the Benton brothers; Leon White (we both had our
tires slashed the same night when we parked out front); Tom Sandham, Chuck
Teasdale; Smitty from the City; Army Store Don; Stretch Jahns; Carl "LaFong"
Swanson; Kirk Tracy; "Tex"; A Pair of Docs; Stan Irwin; Joe Stengle; Dennis
Marshal; the Gendreau brothers; the General, who lived upstairs for years; John
"Bayou"; The "Count"; Lisa "Legs" Romano (probably the Drum's one and only
streaker); Jerry Kunz; a cast of "thousands" of CU football players; and an
untold number of others too numerous to mention here. I remember the two owners
during the period I frequented (1967 until its close in 1981) Larry Call and Ed
Bora. And of couse numerous bartenders spring to mind: Willie Howell, Steve
Stripling, Jim Philips, Stan Irwin, Bob Gamble, Stu Machle, and others who
have disappeared into the haze I call a memory. :)

DCallier

Jul 15, 2002, 1:43:21 PM7/15/02
>> Where was the Timber Tavern?
>
>South side of Arapaho, just west 24th, next to the Phillips
>66 filling station.

This was back when Folsom went all the way to Baseline. :) It was owned by Matt
and Tess Gold in the 60's, and passed along to their son Joe, before it went
through a couple(?) false starts and become what it is now, Turley's. My dad
remembers it from WWII; said it had an outdoor men's room back then. The
original log siding has since been covered up and the "antiques" that Matt
collected, a toilet seat used by Miss America, Marilyn VanDebur, for instance,
have been moved out

The Timber Tavern had a limited menu of food that included an italian sausage
sandwich dubbed the "Bambino"...it was out of this world. The burgers were good
and the fries homemade and delicious.

I still remember the counter checks, checks with blank bank name and account
numbers that you'd fill out yourself, and the $5 limit on checks. 'Course back
then at a quarter a schooner, $5 could buy a lot of buzz.

There was a couples only room for weekend dates and one of the first "arcade"
rooms I'd seen in a bar ( I know, I lived a sheltered existence).

- KarmaKop

Jul 15, 2002, 4:25:44 PM7/15/02

"DCallier" <dcal...@aol.com> wrote in message

> KarmaKop asks:
>
> >Where was the Broken Drum?
>
> 15th and Pearl, across the street from the Boulder Army Store (and for a
while
> Jody's Sweat Shop, a source of entertainment for the Drum regulars).

And Greg Carelli worked there as a competitive aerobics
instructor before he became a restraunteur.

> For bonus
> points, what cafe was right next to the Drum(actually had a connecting
door in
> the rear)? For even more points, where was the Drum II located and what
> offshoot was a popular working person's bar until it was closed to make
way for
> a sub shop?

??

> >What business is now located where the Bank Saloon originated?
>
> I'm gapping, but the shoppette on 28th where the Bank originated now
houses one
> of the Dot's Diners. I can't picture what is in the corner of the el that
the
> Bank occupied. Don's Cheese and Sausage was there for a time in the spot
the
> Dot's occupies. For bonus points where was Don's before?

Arapahoe Rd?

> >What mandatory piece of man-made clothing were women
> >required to wear at FAC?
>
> Dunno...a bra maybe?

No bra, just a Danskin top.

> >Fred Shelton played what instrument?
>
> Guitar
>
> >The founder of Alfalfa's market made millions of $$ selling what
> >in the 70's?
>
> Dunno, granola and sptouts?

Barge loads of hashish.

> >What was the standard "tip" for the waitstaff at the Red Lion Inn
> >when dining on the Patio in the late 70's?
> >
> Tootski!

Bingo.

Dcallier

Jul 15, 2002, 4:45:58 PM7/15/02

"- KarmaKop" <no...@none.no> wrote in message

> "DCallier" <dcal...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > KarmaKop asks:
> >
> > >Where was the Broken Drum?
> >
> > 15th and Pearl, across the street from the Boulder Army Store (and for a
> while
> > Jody's Sweat Shop, a source of entertainment for the Drum regulars).
>
> And Greg Carelli worked there as a competitive aerobics
> instructor before he became a restraunteur.
>
> > For bonus
> > points, what cafe was right next to the Drum(actually had a connecting
> door in
> > the rear)? For even more points, where was the Drum II located and what
> > offshoot was a popular working person's bar until it was closed to make
> way for
> > a sub shop?
>
> ??

Campbell's Cafe. The Drum II was on that little spur of 29th street across
from RallySport.

> > >What business is now located where the Bank Saloon originated?
> >
> > I'm gapping, but the shoppette on 28th where the Bank originated now
> houses one
> > of the Dot's Diners. I can't picture what is in the corner of the el
that
> the
> > Bank occupied. Don's Cheese and Sausage was there for a time in the spot
> the
> > Dot's occupies. For bonus points where was Don's before?
>
> Arapahoe Rd?

Actually I think it was on Baseline just west of Baseline Liquor in what was
a little shop that had been a taco stand.

Joel Frahm

Jul 15, 2002, 5:09:19 PM7/15/02

>> > Dot's occupies. For bonus points where was Don's before?
>>
>> Arapahoe Rd?
>Actually I think it was on Baseline just west of Baseline Liquor in what was
>a little shop that had been a taco stand.

The only location I can remember for Don's was in the building East of
Liquor Mart that Robb's music is in now.

-Joel
Any opinions above are mine and not those of my employer or anyone else.

- KarmaKop

Jul 15, 2002, 5:51:13 PM7/15/02

"Joel Frahm" <fr...@jila.colorado.edu> wrote in message

> >> Arapahoe Rd?
> >Actually I think it was on Baseline just west of Baseline Liquor in what
was
> >a little shop that had been a taco stand.
> >>
> The only location I can remember for Don's was in the building East of
> Liquor Mart that Robb's music is in now.

Ah yes, that's correct. I remember those sandwiches well, though
most of that decade and it's details are a little fog bound.

So who remembers Uncle Grumpy's ?

Chuck Wright

Jul 15, 2002, 6:21:47 PM7/15/02

- KarmaKop wrote:

> "DCallier" <dcal...@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>>KarmaKop asks:
>>>

>>>What was the standard "tip" for the waitstaff at the Red Lion Inn
>>>when dining on the Patio in the late 70's?
>>>
>>Tootski!
>
> Bingo.

Is "tootski" cocaine?

Chuck Wright
http://www.lpboulder.org/

PBridge130

Jul 15, 2002, 10:12:30 PM7/15/02
>>What was the standard "tip" for the waitstaff at the Red Lion Inn
>>when dining on the Patio in the late 70's?
>>
>Tootski!

Patio? Do you mean "The Porch"? Ths small room upstairs on the creek end of
the building?

Pity that restaurant is so lousy these days.

I recall seeing the (then? -- late 70's) owner Chris Muller himself, snort up a
huge line right in the middle of the downstairs dining room.

I also recall seeing him drive around Boulder in his gorgeous black early 60's
Mercedes convertible, with his mistress.

PBridge130

Jul 15, 2002, 10:14:59 PM7/15/02
>>Fred Shelton played what instrument?
>
>Guitar

Bonus points:

(1) where was Fred's before it was on Pearl?
(2) what was Fred's symbol/logo on its menus?

PBridge130

Jul 15, 2002, 10:21:00 PM7/15/02

More:

Name the owner of the "New Age" health food store on Pearl, first name and
last.

bonus: for what was that person arrested in the '50's?

PBridge130

Jul 15, 2002, 10:24:13 PM7/15/02
More:

Spode5101

Jul 16, 2002, 10:33:02 AM7/16/02
Pbridge:

>What was the name of "Mother's" Cafe on the hill before it was Mother's?

The PizzaHut was located there in the 60's. Used to get a lot of Gertie's Girls
(students of Mount St Gertrude's Academy, a Catholic girls school) in the
afternoons. They'd come in to "harass" the troops and cadge free beer from the
horny colleg guys.

Spode5101

Jul 16, 2002, 10:39:57 AM7/16/02
For even more points, where was the Drum II located and what
>offshoot was a popular working person's bar until it was closed to make way
>for
>a sub shop?

Ray's Pub, owned by Ray and Judy Rockafeller. Ray was a longtime Drum bartender
who had tried to save the Drum from extinction. Failing that he opened his own
place in what is now the sub shop next to the Barnes and Noble Bookstore. He
got a lot of the old Drum clientelle and steady traffic from the Mapleton ball
fields during softball season. He had to close up when his lease ended and
didn't/couldn't/wouldn't(?) find another suitable location. Some of his
regulars ended up at the Bank Saloon on 28th.

kittho...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2015, 1:20:15 PM11/8/15
Hanna Kroeger.
Arrested for practicing medicine without a license.. in her store.. with a pendulum. PS She was our family doc for years.. my kids remember her fondly.

kittho...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2015, 1:21:06 PM11/8/15
On Monday, July 15, 2002 at 4:24:13 PM UTC-10, PBridge130 wrote:
> More:
>
> What was the name of "Mother's" Cafe on the hill before it was Mother's?

Magnolia Thunderpussy!

kittho...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2015, 1:22:54 PM11/8/15
On Monday, July 15, 2002 at 4:24:13 PM UTC-10, PBridge130 wrote:
> More:
>
> What was the name of "Mother's" Cafe on the hill before it was Mother's?

Magnolia Thunderpussy!!

jcod...@gmail.com

Nov 4, 2016, 7:03:47 PM11/4/16
What was the name of the Celestial Seasonings driver? Claire something

jcod...@gmail.com

Nov 4, 2016, 7:10:38 PM11/4/16
Does anyone remember the women who worked at Gerard's on Pearl St in the late 70's? I remember Pia Mariani, Claire, Joanne, Joyce

trevor...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2017, 4:21:10 PM9/9/17
On Sunday, July 14, 2002 at 1:06:15 PM UTC-4, Herb wrote:
> Who remembers the Lamp Post. How about the Broken Drum.
>
> The Lamp Post goes way back to the early sixties - Arapahoe about 24th(Folsom)? The Drum was on 15th and Pearl - tot
al hangout.

trevor...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2017, 4:25:33 PM9/9/17
On Monday, July 8, 2002 at 7:02:53 PM UTC-4, Dennis Shea wrote:
> A friend asked me if I remembered the name of the bar
> in the then Boulder Sheraton Hotel (now, Broker Inn).
> It offered live music and the time frame was approximately
> 1973-76 or so.
>
> I can't remember and, alas, my friend has become obsessed
> with this burning question. He told me he can't sleep at night :-)
>
> THX

Dennis! Is that you? Chris Gager calling!

xpwa...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2018, 4:50:01 PM6/24/18
Does anyone remember a sculpture put up in Boulder in the 70s? I was a little girl and it was very tall, abstract and meant to rust. I can’t find anything about it and may have imagined it?

emo....@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2019, 3:11:01 PM10/17/19
On Saturday, July 13, 2002 at 7:04:23 AM UTC-7, pt wrote:
> In article <3D2A1A1C...@ucar.edu>, "Dennis Shea" <sh...@ucar.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > A friend asked me if I remembered the name of the bar in the then
> > Boulder Sheraton Hotel (now, Broker Inn). It offered live music and the
> > time frame was approximately 1973-76 or so.
> >
> > I can't remember and, alas, my friend has become obsessed with this
> > burning question. He told me he can't sleep at night :-)
>
> Anthony's Gardens?
>
> And now for the bonus round .... More Boulder Trivia:
>
> Before it was a (now closed) restuarunt, "The Good Earth"
> was a what, and where was it?
> What was the Irish pub/live music bar down at the west end of Pearl?
> Where was the Timber Tavern?
> When did the "the Tule" open?

The irish bar was Shannon's Bar and Grill owned by a Jewish family whose names I cannot remember due to being in Boulder in the early 70's!!

chuckh...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2020, 9:59:06 PM1/16/20
> The irish bar was Shannon's Bar and Grill owned by a Jewish family whose names I cannot remember due to being in Boulder in the early 70's!! Later, a restaurant opened in a strip mall at the southwest corner of 18th and Pearl, and the restaurant was called The Good Earth. My favorite dish there was the walnut casserole.

The Good Earth was first a nightclub in the upper story of the Citizens bank building on Pearl St. in Boulder. I saw Robben Ford and Michael Roach play there. Freddie Hubbard also played there.