Evaluation questions

Glenn Linderman

Apr 7, 2019, 1:47:13 PM4/7/19
to bott...@googlegroups.com
Bottle looks interesting, and I read the tutorial, which raised some questions:

1. Does the built-in web server support SSL, so that modern browser features can be used?

2. If the answer to 1 is "no", what is the minimal front-end that can?

Deployment would be behind LiteSpeed server eventually, and apparently that is possible through LSAPI.

I noted in reading the tutorial, that links to "paste" and "pylons" didn't work. I didn't attempt to click all the links to all the servers.

Marcel Hellkamp

Apr 7, 2019, 2:07:20 PM4/7/19
to bott...@googlegroups.com
Am 26.03.19 um 08:09 schrieb Glenn Linderman:
> Bottle looks interesting, and I read the tutorial, which raised some
> questions:
>
> 1. Does the built-in web server support SSL, so that modern browser
> features can be used?

No, and that is intentional. The built-in web-server is not meant to be
used in production. Use a proper deployment method (e.g. nginx+uwsgi)
for a production setup. If you need SSL for testing, then there are
various tools that provide simple local SSL proxies (e.g. mitmproxy) for
exactly this use case.

> 2. If the answer to 1 is "no", what is the minimal front-end that can?

Bottle is a WSGI framework and there are lots of options. Too many to
list them all. Anything that can run flask/django/tornado/... can also
run bottle applications.

> Deployment would be behind LiteSpeed server eventually, and apparently
> that is possible through LSAPI.

Apache has mod_wsgi, which may also work with LiteSpeed.

> I noted in reading the tutorial, that links to "paste" and "pylons"
> didn't work. I didn't attempt to click all the links to all the servers.

The tutorial did not age well, but as WSGI is still the most important
web application protocol for python, there are lots of options. uwsgi
seems to be the most popular implementation nowadays.