Bottleneck 1.2.0 released

Keith Goodman

Oct 20, 2016, 3:03:13 PM10/20/16
to bottl...@googlegroups.com
Bottleneck 1.2.0

*Release date: 2016-10-20*

This release is a complete rewrite of Bottleneck.

**Port to C**

- Bottleneck is now written in C
- Cython is no longer a dependency
- Source tarball size reduced by 80%
- Build time reduced by 66%
- Install size reduced by 45%

**Redesign**

- Besides porting to C, much of bottleneck has been redesigned to be simpler and faster. For example, bottleneck now uses its own N-dimensional array iterators, reducing function call overhead.

**New features**

- The new function bench_detailed runs a detailed performance benchmark ona single bottleneck function.
- Bottleneck can be installed on systems that do not yet have NumPy installed. Previously that only worked on some systems.

**Beware**

- Functions partsort and argpartsort have been renamed to partition and argpartition to match NumPy. Additionally the meaning of the input arguments have changed: bn.partsort(a, n) is now equivalent to bn.partition(a, kth=n-1). Similarly for bn.argpartition.
- The keyword for array input has been changed from `arr` to `a` in all functions. It now matches NumPy.

**Thanks**

- Moritz E. Beber: continuous integration with AppVeyor
- Christoph Gohlke: Windows compatibility
- Jennifer Olsen: comments and suggestions
- A special thanks to the Cython developers. The quickest way to appreciate their work is to remove Cython from your project. It is not easy.

Jeff Reback

Oct 25, 2016, 6:40:55 PM10/25/16
to bottl...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the release.

its seems you have a conda-forge recipe. can you trigger?

Keith Goodman

Oct 25, 2016, 7:19:48 PM10/25/16
to bottl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 3:40 PM, Jeff Reback <jeffr...@gmail.com> wrote:
thanks for the release.

its seems you have a conda-forge recipe. can you trigger?

​I don't think I have one (because I don't know what it is).​

Jeff Reback

Oct 25, 2016, 7:46:59 PM10/25/16
to bottl...@googlegroups.com

just post and the will add u as a maintainer

Keith Goodman

Oct 26, 2016, 11:45:08 AM10/26/16
to bottl...@googlegroups.com
Neat. But I already have my hands full with bottleneck itself.

Wes McKinney

Oct 26, 2016, 5:27:21 PM10/26/16
to bottl...@googlegroups.com