First place - Google Hackathon

Jeff Sylvan

Mar 1, 2012, 8:14:04 PM3/1/12
to bost...@googlegroups.com
All,

I made my first (simple) Unity 3D game during Google's Android Hackathon a couple weeks ago and got first place as a result (out of about 70 participants in 14 teams).

It's simple as hell, but I figured I'd share it. I followed the advice of one of the presenters of the Windows Mango event - if you aren't embarrassed by your first application you waited too long.

Gameplay: Think 3d angry birds. Knock a zombie off a cliff as quickly as possible.
Controls: Web based game. with standard FPS controls, but... if your phone is connected to the same network as your computer you can use your smartphone as a Wiimote via the accelerometer and touchscreen.

How to use your phone as a wiimote:
1) Load the PlayBrassMonkey app onto your phone
- iPhone users can download it via the appsotre
- Android users can download it here http://playbrassmonkey.com/developers/
2) Connect your phone to your local wifi (if you don't do this your computer and phone won't recognize each-other)
3) Load this webpage - http://mc.ecgames.org/Submit/WebPlayer.html on your computer
4) Connect your phone to the Captain AA app

Known bug:
- I didn't have time to code the "you won" screen once the zombie's height is less than 0.

Upcoming features (if I ever have the free time to make them):
- Stop the clock when the zombie falls
- Split screen so two players can fight knock the zombie off the cliff first (requires two smartphones).
- Make the wall tougher, add a paddle, and turn it into a 3d version of breakout.
- Publish to the droid directly so it doesn't have to be a web based game
- Add Emotiv support so lazy users can control the game using brainwaves instead of their phone

Interested in making your own Unity3d game? Check out the tutorials linked to from my blog here - https://plus.google.com/u/0/104283336927052726197/posts/FwnjC2zMtKK

V/R,
Jeff

Jeff Sylvan

Mar 1, 2012, 8:20:32 PM3/1/12
to bost...@googlegroups.com
Oh, the music is Ominos, used by permission.