Meeting Announcement for August 28th, 2013

1 view

Michael Cummings

Aug 21, 2013, 11:33:33 AM8/21/13
to bost...@googlegroups.com

Create a Windows 8 Game : "Honeycomb Rush" from Scratch

  • Microsoft Cambridge

    1 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA

    Enter on Main Street, sign in at the security desk and come up to the 4th floor.

It's been a few months since we've had a real meeting, so now that the summer is coming to an end I think that it's time we get things rolling again with the group.

This month we will have an INTERACTIVE meeting, meaning bring your laptop, Surface or tablet running Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, to build a full fledged game using Visual Studio 2012 and MonoGame (http://monogame.net).

The Honeycomb Rush game you will build is a single-player game in which the player collects honey from a set of honeycombs while avoiding the bees flying around the screen. If the player collects enough honey and returns it to a honey vat within the level's time limit, the game advances to the next level.

Objectives

By the end of this tutorial you will have:

• A high-level understanding of the MonoGame application model within the Windows 8 operating system

• Learned how to use resources (images, fonts, et cetera) in your game

• Learned how to add game logic

• Learned about 2D rendering in MonoGame

• Learned how to use touch and gesture input to control your game

• Learned how to write a performance intensive game

• Learned how to call an external web api to save and load information

Prerequisites

The following is required to complete this session:

• Windows 8 or 8.1

• Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 and the Windows Phone 8 SDK, which will be used to compile the game assets.

-- or --

• Microsoft Visual C# Express 2012 for Windows 8 and the Windows Phone Developer Tools, which will be used to compile the game assets

• MonoGame : http://monogame.net

Kevin Gleason

Aug 21, 2013, 11:56:47 AM8/21/13
to bost...@googlegroups.com
 Michael,

Is Win8 an absolute? I'm running Win7 now...not enough?

Also, If I can get the equipment can I tape the meeting for my public access tv show On Your COmputer [with Kevin Gleason]? We are showing in 42 communities around the Bay state and 20 other stations in the US. The segment I'd be taping would be about 8-minutes after editing and would direct other like-minded gaming enthusiasts to your Meet-Up site (perhaps to RESTORE the group again).Check out my Videos and Promos link below for samples...
 Regards,
Kevin

Kevin M. Gleason, Owner - Host
Irish Cottage Productions
Public Profile on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/kmgconsultinggroup

The information in this email and any attachments or any reproduction of this email in whatever manner is confidential and for the use of the addressee(s) only. If you are not the addressee then the distribution, use or reproduction of this email or the information within it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If received in error please advise the sender and delete all record of it from your system. Although believed to be virus free, accurate and complete, responsibility for any loss or cost arising from its receipt or use or its incomplete or inaccurate transmission is hereby excluded to the fullest extent possible.

Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 08:33:33 -0700
From: cummings...@gmail.com
To: bost...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [BostonXNA] Meeting Announcement for August 28th, 2013

Yahoo

Aug 21, 2013, 2:54:00 PM8/21/13
to bost...@googlegroups.com, bost...@googlegroups.com
I'd be very interested in watching that.

Sent from my iPhone