Does anyone know an elegant way to tilt the ground plan in the Oculus Rift setup?

je...@constructionvr.com

Jan 29, 2019, 12:02:37 PM1/29/19
to BostonVR
Fellow VR geeks:

Suppose I want to play Oculus Rift games while tilted way back in an easy chair!  Say, 60-degrees from vertical. In the standard setup, that would have me looking at the ceiling or the sky, making most games unplayable. But If I could just tilt the ground plane by a matching 60-degrees, I would see myself looking out over the virtual ground, like I'm standing.  It might feel a little funny on my hands, reaching mostly up when I'm (virtually) reaching straight out, but I would have the full range of interaction available to me in the game.

But I can't seem to defeat the idiot-proofed ground-plane detection in the Oculus setup process. It's probably just reading an accelerometer in the headset--tilting it during setup doesn't help.  Ideas?

-- Jeff

Jeff Bail

Feb 3, 2019, 3:48:38 PM2/3/19
to Jeffrey Jacobson, BostonVR
Rather than trying to fool Oculus I'd try and put a transform on an otherwise empty node above your camera rig.

Jeff Bail

Feb 3, 2019, 3:53:03 PM2/3/19
to Jeffrey Jacobson, BostonVR
Oops I thought you were developing your own app. That's a pretty tough one. Are you trying to fake it with your cameras, HMD and touch controllers all at the same angle? The magnetometers could possibly be fooled with carefully placed magnets.

Jeffrey Jacobson

Feb 3, 2019, 8:33:34 PM2/3/19
to Jeff Bail, BostonVR
Thanks jeff!

It is very tough. I want to be able to play regular games at an angle. It’s for kids stuck lying down in a hospital bed.

I’ll try your idea with a magnet.

Might just open up the headset and see if I can just rotate the magnetometer itself, or the circuit board it’s on...
--

-- Jeff

Jeffrey Jacobson,
Simulation Engineering Project Manager,
SIMPeds (simpeds.org) at Boston Children's Hospital

Jeffrey Jacobson

Feb 11, 2019, 8:23:19 AM2/11/19
to Jeff Bail, BostonVR
The people at VR Health showed us a couple of their games that use a horizon line, which can be tilted 90 degrees, so you can play the game on your back.  At least for their games, it causes motion sickness!  Not surprising.  There may be games where that's okay, but we don't have the budget to investigate.  Instead we are now looking for games that don't have a horizon line.  Like underwater or outer space adventures.  I'll query on some game forums.