Offer for a talk at the Boston Haskell meeting

Rishiyur Nikhil

Feb 15, 2013, 11:09:39 AM2/15/13
to boston...@googlegroups.com
Hi Edward and Boston Haskellers,

If there is interest, I'd be happy to give a talk at this or some
future meeting along the following lines:

    Hardware Design for the Haskell Programmer

    The BSV language combines Haskell for structural specs with Term
    Rewriting Systems for behavioral specs.  The structural part,
    despite unfamiliar syntax, is "all" of Haskell: a full,
    higher-order, lazy, pure functional programming language with
    algebraic types, pattern matching, Hindley-Milner polymorphism,
    typeclasses, and monads, all of which are exploited heavily by
    expert BSV programmers.  In this talk, I'll reveal these deep
    connections with Haskell, using concrete examples.

    Even if you've never designed hardware before, I hope to inspire
    you to give it a try (to accelerate a slow application using a
    low-cost FPGA, for example).

Cheers,

Nikhil

Edward Kmett

Feb 15, 2013, 4:58:54 PM2/15/13
to boston...@googlegroups.com
I'm definitely interested in your talk. =)

Would you like to give this talk for next month's session on March 20th? That way we can keep the open format for a second session and ease talks back into the mix. It'd also provide enough more notice. A number of people had expressed interest in doing short lightning talks for this session, and it might help to get people to know each other better first.

-Edward

Rishiyur Nikhil

Feb 15, 2013, 5:06:35 PM2/15/13
to boston...@googlegroups.com
Sure, March 20 would suit me fine (will also give me more time to prep!).

Thanks,

Nikhil