Fwd: [Programming] Jeff Dean and Sanjay Ghemawat talk @MIT Wed 9/12 4pm

Edward Kmett

Sep 9, 2012, 2:10:35 PM9/9/12
to BostonHaskell
I figured this might be of interest to some people here.

From: Sam Madden <mad...@csail.mit.edu>
Subject: Jeff Dean and Sanjay Ghemawat Talk, Wednesday 9/12 4:00 PM,
        32-G449 (Kiva)
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 12:50:45 -0400
To: g...@csail.mit.edu

Refreshments at 3:45.  We will also be archiving / live streaming.

       Living with Big Data: Challenges and Opportunities

                    Jeffrey Dean & Sanjay Ghemawat
                             Google, Inc.

Google provides many services built on large data sets and large
clusters of machines.  This talk describes some of the systems and
techniques we use to manage these data sets and machines.  The talk
will cover storage systems, fault tolerance, compression, debugging,
performance tuning, and latency reduction.  We'll round out the talk
with some highlights of a recent system for scaling deep learning
techniques to large amounts of data.

Jeff and Sanjay joined Google in 1999 and are Google Fellows.
Together, they developed the MapReduce computational framework, and
are co-designers and co-implementors of heavily-used distributed
storage systems, including Bigtable and Spanner.  They also worked
together on five generations of Google's crawling, indexing, and query
serving systems, and have designed and implemented many of Google's
low-level software libraries and developer tools, as well as a number of
other Google products and systems.